Replacement Suspension Springs

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
1986Tercel4X4
My tercel:: 1986 all stock

Replacement Suspension Springs

Post by 1986Tercel4X4 »

Have any of you had luck having someone manufacture replacement suspension springs?
I was hoping I could contact the same outfit and request another set made.
I haven’t had any luck finding replacements in the USA or Australia after hours and hours of searching.
(The Australian outfits have stopped manufacturing the parts, and since Covid have implemented a 20 part minimum on having any produced.)
Thanks in advance
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Replacement Suspension Springs

Post by Petros »

are you looking for stock replacement springs, or stiffer or taller ones for off road driving? I do not know of any company that would wind you some custom springs, unless you are going to order 40 or more of each. usually you spend some time in a self service wrecking yard checking out size, dia, length, etc of springs on other cars and than if you find something close you pull it yourself.

there are companies that make performance adjustable spring seats with various springs you can buy. they have a threaded sleeve you install on your strut tube (after you cut off the old spring seat), and you get an adjustable spring seat that goes on it. I have seen them used on honda civics, etc. you might be able to find a combination to raiser your car. They are not too costly if you get the cheap ones (on ebay and Amazon), they can also be custom built and be very costly. they look like the one in the picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Replacement Suspension Springs

Post by NWMO »

Here is a thread that may interest you. I ended up going through the MOOG tables (online) and finding a spring that was similar dimensions, but stouter (Moog 81043) for the front. I used Pathfinder springs in the rear, but you may not want the added height.

viewtopic.php?p=97807&hilit=coil+springs+81043#p97807

Here is a quote from another post that provides some valuable numbers for reference.

Post by ccmt » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:11 pm

. . . I was looking at the specs for Moog springs and found that the Volvo replacement spring, cc217, is a little shorter and less stiff than the Pathfinder replacement, cc247, but still longer and stiffer than the t4 replacement, cc211. It follows then that the Volvo 200 series springs might be a good way of achieving a less extreme lift in the back?

Here is another thread where Tom (RIP) provided some numbers that may be more helpful up front.
viewtopic.php?p=90832&hilit=front+spring#p90832

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain