Long time creeper, first time poster 🤘

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Muddytaco
My tercel:: 84 Bone stock 1 owner

Long time creeper, first time poster 🤘

Post by Muddytaco »

I haven't even began to track down my little issues on the tercel yet but, here's the skinny. It's an 84, one owner, garage kept until a couple of years ago and it had unfortunately been parked outside for the last two years. But dealership serviced, Michelin tires, Toyota only parts clean oil at 2500 miles on this change. Seems like I may have some weird electrical issues 🤷‍♂️.
The first problem I had was the alternator, immediately followed by the regulator. Probably related on those.
Now... I hadn't started the car in about a month, started it yesterday and the charge light was on... Checked the connections, I had a connection on the alternator that was a little loose but not bad. Tightened that, started the car again and no charge light. But! My oil idiot light was on. Checked the oil, it wasn't low, listened with a stethoscope, no noise out of the engine at all. Soooo, I unhooked the oil pressure sender, the light went off, would've thought it would be on due to that. Hooked it back up, no lights at all now. So I decided to drive it to work for a few days and see how it goes. Everything seems normal again except my temp gauge and dome light isn't working 😂. I'm about to check fuses and wiring and see what I can figure out. Any of this normal? I will fix it. The cruise hasn't worked since I bought it so I've got to figure that out as well. The rest of the car is just so nice, I find it weird this cars has these weird electrical bugs. The only thing that really needs repair is a small spot of rust on the tailgate. I think it will go the paint shop within a few months for that but I'd like to figure these little issues now. Nice to be here, love seeing all the stuff you guys do to your cars on here. The only plans for it are to put a roof rack and some bronze fifteen52 wheels on it. Just to cherry to mess with, thanks guys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Re: Long time creeper, first time poster 🤘

Post by Neu »

That's funny. My charge/brake lights are very slightly illuminated, even after a new alternator. My dome light goes out all the time but then mysteriously comes back. My temp gauge works fine though. Maybe you have a grounding issue?

As for cruise control, if i remember right they're vacuum operated for the most part so you'll maybe want to dive into the vac system to troubleshoot cruise.

I'm sure other folks will chime in.

Congrats on the terdcel!
Muddytaco

Post by Muddytaco »

Neu, mine were slightly illuminated until I replaced the regulator, might try that 🤷‍♂️. I did a little looking and there were some non- dealer looking repairs i.e. Some terrible butt connections behind the alternator. Looks like where they had the tow connection for the lights hooked up years ago. Going to take those apart and solder and heat shrink them correctly and see what that does. That damn oil pressure sending unit is very inconvenient. I think I'm going to find a way to move it out from under that alternator bracket. It's very hard to get the wire on and off to diagnose
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it is not unusual for a car that sits around long time between running that electrical contacts get corrosion in them, they often just need cleaning. I sometimes spray by fuse box and wire bundle connectors with LPS or CRC moisture displacing spray that will improve contacts. spraying the spark plug wires, boots and connectors, as well as under the distributor cap, will also usually improve electrician contacts.

the temperature sending is the one on the front of the head (next to the timing belt cover), if the contacts is clean, than you likely need a new sender. they do not cost much, and should be available since this same sender is used on a number of different toyota models.

Older cars like these, even with low miles, develop many issues related to age you do not usually have with newer cars. I have had the plastic clips on the door latch linkage turn to dust and than the push/pull rods fall out making it impossible to open the door. Also ignition switches stop working, blower fans fail, senders fail, etc. All of this stuff can be fixed, but you have more and more of these kind of strange little fixes to keep after.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Muddytaco

Post by Muddytaco »

I need to get better pics. This car couldn't be more sweet. I definitely will spray about all these connections and start there! I had those door handle clips fall apart in my hilux years ago lol. Always something! Thanks for the thoughts!
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

Muddytaco wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:31 am Neu, mine were slightly illuminated until I replaced the regulator, might try that 🤷‍♂️. I did a little looking and there were some non- dealer looking repairs i.e. Some terrible butt connections behind the alternator. Looks like where they had the tow connection for the lights hooked up years ago. Going to take those apart and solder and heat shrink them correctly and see what that does. That damn oil pressure sending unit is very inconvenient. I think I'm going to find a way to move it out from under that alternator bracket. It's very hard to get the wire on and off to diagnose
wait was your regulator internal in the alternator or external? I've replaced my alt twice(2nd time under warranty) and the light became a lot more dim. you can't even tell it's on during the day.
Muddytaco

Post by Muddytaco »

Neu wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:29 pm
Muddytaco wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:31 am Neu, mine were slightly illuminated until I replaced the regulator, might try that 🤷‍♂️. I did a little looking and there were some non- dealer looking repairs i.e. Some terrible butt connections behind the alternator. Looks like where they had the tow connection for the lights hooked up years ago. Going to take those apart and solder and heat shrink them correctly and see what that does. That damn oil pressure sending unit is very inconvenient. I think I'm going to find a way to move it out from under that alternator bracket. It's very hard to get the wire on and off to diagnose
wait was your regulator internal in the alternator or external? I've replaced my alt twice(2nd time under warranty) and the light became a lot more dim. you can't even tell it's on during the day.
Mine is external, that's what mine did when I replaced the alternator. The late stayed on but dim, regulator took care of that
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

Muddytaco wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:45 am
Neu wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:29 pm
Mine is external, that's what mine did when I replaced the alternator. The late stayed on but dim, regulator took care of that
Heh weird, mine clearly has an IC Regulator but my warning lights are still dimly lit. There's no regulator by the battery. Interesting. It also seems to test out fine with 14.43V.

I dont wanna hijack this thread though, lol, so I'll go about figuring it out in another thread.