Update: ISO 87-88 headlights/earlier headlamps and grill/Sr5 dash cluster

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Grendle

Update: ISO 87-88 headlights/earlier headlamps and grill/Sr5 dash cluster

Post by Grendle »

Now that I've driven my wagon cross country and around town for a bit, I've got a better idea of how I'm going to tackle repairs and updates. I'm updating the original wish list. Now I'm looking for either the headlight assemblies/headlights for an '87-88 model, or a full headlamp and grill setup for the earlier models. I'd also like a dash cluster for an SR5, having a tach and brighter display would be really nice.

For the headlights, I'm looking to get a full setup around $100, otherwise I'll just bide my time until a pick'n'pull wagon comes up within a few hours drive. For the dash cluster, I figure around $50. If that's too low for you, I get it, but based on what I paid for the whole car, it's hard to justify paying more than that when what I have works for now. I've also got some parts to trade (clean front driver fender, both taillight assemblies, roof rack brackets, wiring harness, driveshaft, some trim pieces, a few other mechanical bits, and a decent '87 grill if trading for an earlier setup.)

Thanks!

original text below.
So instead of trading my van (although I'd still consider it, just minus a crazy road trip), I bought this guy the other night: viewtopic.php?t=15715, and am planning on flying up to Seattle and road tripping it back to Dallas. While I'm in the northwest, I'm hoping to pick up a few parts if I can get a decent price or trade.

Things I'd like to take back with me:
- a pinhole free gas tank (treating the one i've got, then doing the Spectra thing if need be)
- a transmission (doesn't need to be fresh, but not grenaded would be nice. My 14 year old claimed the car when he turns 16, so I've probably got 2 years to scrounge for a spare - or just a second T4. so far in practice drives he's done well with the lesson that it's better to destroy a clutch than a tranny though)
- parts to add a/c (hopefully meeting Petros and picking these up while in Seattle for a wedding this summer)
- a pair of headlights
- a cleaner red hatch (For now I'll sand, POR15, and paint unless someone in Dallas has a spare hatch)
- an inclinometer (no real hurry here)
- radio and temperature control trim pieces (sticking with the bluetooth setup for now, but looks like these come an go on ebay for a reasonable price)
- a set of 14" wheels (just going local FB marketplace for these)
- a dash display with tachometer

I know the top two aren't exactly growing on trees, and I'll probably be checking pick'n'pulls on my route down as well, but figured I'd have a better shot at finding parts in the NW than I will in North Texas.
Last edited by Grendle on Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Wanted: several spare parts

Post by NWMO »

Grendle,

This tank worked great for me, it's only been in a little while.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/ ... 163653_0_0

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Grendle

Post by Grendle »

Thanks! As long as those are around I may just Jb Weld the outside and POR15 inside and not worry about it until I need to.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Grendle,

I messed with one of my old tanks some and replacing it a little later was money well spent.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

This tank is no longer being manufactured, so finding a new one is a worthwhile investment.
Grendle

Post by Grendle »

has anybody tried the T01B version? (ours is the T01A) Looking at Spectra's site (https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/products/TO1B), they appear to have the same dimensions, and that tank is still available. Not the most scientific, but opening each tank in side by side tabs and jumping back and forth, it looks like it should be possible with minimal to no pounding.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

Grendle wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:41 pm has anybody tried the T01B version? (ours is the T01A) Looking at Spectra's site (https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/products/TO1B), they appear to have the same dimensions, and that tank is still available. Not the most scientific, but opening each tank in side by side tabs and jumping back and forth, it looks like it should be possible with minimal to no pounding.
*raises hand*

If this is the tank for the GTS ae86 with the 4age, which it should be, there are two main issues.

1: the filler neck doesnt havet the collar needed for our body. On our tank, the filler neck unbolts whereas this one doesnt. NWMO got around the issue by cutting the collar in half and rewelding it back on.

2. Where the level sensor goes, theres a fuel dam for the fuel pump that the efi cars use. The float sensor WILL NOT WORK in that spot unless you get in there with something and beat the crap out of it and flatten it down. This is the route I took.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Here are a few pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have some air conditioner parts from several Tercel4wd in my pile of parts. I would be happy to get them out of my garage. I do not know their condition or suitablity to restore them and use them in a car. Where we live in the PNW, it rarely gets hot enough where I want to have an AC, and find them more a chore to have than the rare few times I might want one. besides the demand on the already underpowered engine is not worth the small benefit. That is a very different consideration in the hot places in the country, but not for me.

the shipping costs would be not insignificant, and the time it takes to sort through all my piles of parts. though it is something I have to do anyway, I just never have the time to do it. it is just as well you take them if you want them, otherwise I might just send them to the scrapper (and that would be a shame I think).

As I recall I have at least 2 complete car's worth of A/c stuff, and likely several additional pieces. they came from various parts cars I had, and other parts given to me from other PNW tercel owners for a project. I installed an A/c system for Tercel4wd I was giving to my daughter who lived in Texas, and needed the A/C. so I completely installed a working system from the parts stash. With lots of parts left over. You are welcome to them all if you want them. I am not sure how complete what I have is now, but I am fairly certain there is enough to make one working system, or nearly so.

let me know.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

As posted above by NWMO on 1/5/22, it appears that AutoZone might have the T01A fuel tank... they give a price and don't say it's out of stock:

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/ ... 163653_0_0
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
Grendle

Post by Grendle »

@Petros - that would be great! I am actually flying up to Seattle on the 4th of next month to pick up the car and road trip it home, so if there's an option to pick up the parts that Friday night or Saturday morning, I could just haul them back to Texas. Let me know if that might work and we can pm to coordinate.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

The Autozone fuel tank only ships directly to the buyer. I purchased around 9:30 one morning and it was on my doorstep by noon the next day.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Grendle wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:24 pm @Petros - that would be great! I am actually flying up to Seattle on the 4th of next month to pick up the car and road trip it home
I am about an hour north of Seattle. drive on up and spend the night (we have a guest room for you to use), and you can take all of the a/c parts I have with you. we can also give the car a good once over, fix anything that needs fixing, and send you on your way. I have all the tools you might need to do everything from an engine overhaul to brakes/suspension and everything in between. And I Also likely have most of the parts that you might need for your Tercel as well.

I have made that drive from Washington to TX in January, doing it in Feb has its risks of bad weather, but it will be adventure to be sure. you can either drive down to Los Angles and than drive east to avoid major mountains (it is a longer drive, perhaps 5 or 6 hours more road time), or you can do what we did, and rive over the cascades mountains, through eastern OR, than on to UT, over the Washach mountains, than into Co, and over the Rockies, down into Denver and than south to TX. it was a wild ride in Jan, I would advise to bring a warm sleeping bag, snow boots and other cold weather gear in case you get stuck waiting for a snow plow.

let me know, I will must get permission from my wife to spend that weekend playing around with Tercels. she will agree, she just hates surprises with visitors. so I have to let her know way ahead.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Have massive spare parts.
Located in N Seattle.

Have gas tanks.
Red hatch
Lights/ brackets
Brown inclinometer
Probably the rest of the dash stuff.

425-241-4143
synthdesign@gmail.com
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5

Post by AugustusFerdinand »

marlinh wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:08 am This tank is no longer being manufactured, so finding a new one is a worthwhile investment.
Source that it's no longer being made? I picked up a TO1B since I'm doing an EFI conversion and saw reports of the same. Spectra still makes them, but they aren't one that's stocked as much. Had to wait a couple of months to grab one as they were manufactured. Best thing to do is tell RockAuto to notify you when they come in stock.
1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 - 7AGE swap in progress