*ISO: Cruise Control parts!*

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
eightyfive4WD
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel 4WD 5 speed wagon

*ISO: Cruise Control parts!*

Post by eightyfive4WD »

Hello,

I have a 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD DLX/Auto wagon. I would love to get cruise control installed in my wagon, but I don't entirely know what parts are necessary to do this. If it makes a difference, I've swapped to a Weber 32/36 progressive carburetor, and I've eliminated almost all vacuum components and all of the emissions. I'm assuming the cruise control would operate from one of my now-available intake manifold vacuum ports.

Thanks for your time. Please let me know if you have cruise control components that would work for my '85!

-Erik
1985 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD 5 spd wagon (manual swapped, daily driver)
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD access cab long bed (road trip/adventure-mobile)
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Re: *ISO: Cruise Control parts!*

Post by SirFoxx »

good luck. they are insanely rare for these cars. i had a dealer installed setup on mine that was designed specifically for the tercel, and my roommate had a factory installed kit on his. both were pulled from junkyard cars. both are no longer in our possession.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

You'd be better off looking for a third party kit.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
eightyfive4WD
Advanced Member

Post by eightyfive4WD »

irowiki wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:09 am You'd be better off looking for a third party kit.
Any ideas who made such kits, or what to look for?
eightyfive4WD
Advanced Member

Post by eightyfive4WD »

SirFoxx wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:28 am good luck. they are insanely rare for these cars. i had a dealer installed setup on mine that was designed specifically for the tercel, and my roommate had a factory installed kit on his. both were pulled from junkyard cars. both are no longer in our possession.
Oh it's definitely a long shot. But I'm putting a feeler out here on the forum just in case.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
eightyfive4WD
Advanced Member

Post by eightyfive4WD »

Nice! Good to know there are other options out there also, if I really feel like spending $$$$ for setups like these.
I think for now I will hold off and hope to score a cheap used set of factory equipment but it's definitely good to know that is not where my options end.
There is always the option of adapting another vehicle's cruise control system to work in the Tercel, too.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKIDgG5Y2yUMy mate Michael has made a camry cruise control fit on to his manual Corolla Alltrac so it looks factory. I imagine it could be done with the Tercel. He discusses it in this video.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

There may also be a simple DIY option. My dad once had an old Volvo with an after market air conditioner, for when the A/c kicked on, the installer put in an idle speed adjustment to raise the idle so it would not stall out at idle. fiddling with it on the hwy my dad discovered it could also make a simple cruise control of sorts. it just speed up and held the engine speed to any level you wanted. you could kick it off fast, so it was not too much a hazard (you could also push in the clutch, but the engine would red line). it did not adjust for hills and wind, it just set the throttle at a fixed opening. it would slow on the up hills, and speed up on the down hills. it worked well for open roads in nearly flat terrain, like most of the country.

There used to be simple kits to do this kind of alteration, I also remember seeing one in a J.C. Whitney catalog many ears ago, it was a simple cable with a choke kind of knob on the days, that would kick off if you tapped the brakes. it seems even with out a kit, it would not be too hard to rig something like that from standard hardware.

So you might have an DIY option if you can not adapt an existing one to your Tercel. use with caution.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)