'85 tercel etc.

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Tercelcruiser
My tercel:: 1985 tercel, 4wd, 6spd, 4ac, 3.5"lift, 2"drivetrain drop

'85 tercel etc.

Post by Tercelcruiser »

Hello all. I am new here , although you folks have already helped me do a 4ac swap into my sr5 , 6 speed tercel. It has yet to be named so still just calling it the tercel :roll: My real reason for being here is because I needed a decent winter vehicle so I could park my beloved '83 bj60 for the winter.I am in British Columbia and they use a ton of salt in the wintertime in my area.....hence the rusty tercel....anyways, I got it for a case of beer, and so far I have done a 3.5 inch suspension lift,c/w 2 inch drive train drop to keep the suspension and cv angles close to original, reworked all 4 doors for keys/locks/windows all to work, re-wired blower fan so it actually turns the right way, added the Honda wheels that are 2" larger than stock tires on 15" rims, I will add more to this if there is interest but here's a few pics relative to what I've been up to... (corolla was the donor car)and the cruiser just because it's a cool toyota from the 80's...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: '85 tercel etc.

Post by dlb »

Welcome to the forum, TC. Beautiful BJ60, it looks so classic. Where in BC are you?
Tercelcruiser

Post by Tercelcruiser »

Thank you!....I'm in Revelstoke
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Looks great! Any pics of the front control arm mount modification? I’m working through something in my head, but curious what you did (assumimg you stayed with stock control arms)?

TIA,

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Tercelcruiser

Post by Tercelcruiser »

I didn't take a whole bunch of pics but that is one thing I thought I should stop and take a picture of, here it is...I cut around the mount and basically took out a 1/2 inch of metal, that is why I used 2.5" tube for the 2" drop, . I bolted them first, then aligned them and then welded them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks for the pics. Not a lot of options there, unfortunately, I have enough rust issues I can’t get that much “decent” welding done.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Hey I saw this car rip a handbrake u turn out front of the police station the other day... definitely brought a smile to my face. Let me know if you need parts as I have a parts car in the same paint scheme under a couple feet of snow.
Tercelcruiser

Post by Tercelcruiser »

Lol, right on. I have seen your car around town too I think. They sure are fun little cars...
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad the Tercel community is growing in Revelstoke. If I ever make it up that way, I'll keep my eyes peeled.
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

Hi Tercelruiser .

Is this 4AC motor from that Corolla in your picture
is it Front wheel drive OR Rear wheel drive .

thank you

bruce
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

toughtercel wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:09 pm
Is this 4AC motor from that Corolla in your picture
is it Front wheel drive OR Rear wheel drive .
Hi Bruce,

when I did my 4ac conversion in my T4wd, I used an engine from the transverse (FWD) corolla configuration I found at the wrecking yard. you can not use any of the external parts from that engine. I stripped it down to the long block, and swap over all of the mounts, water pump housing, intake and exhaust manifold with the fuel and emissions systems, distributor,and oil pan, complete, from the 3ac. it all bolts up, it is just a lot of extra work to swap everything over, so make sure you have all the external parts off your 3ac before you do it. I think I had to chase drill some of the engine mount holes since they were slightly off, no big deal.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Tercelcruiser

Post by Tercelcruiser »

ImageMy 4ac is from that fwd corolla in the pics. I swapped everything over also. I did notice that the intake and exhaust manifolds were identical to each other. My flywheel/bellhousing./Valve cover/oilpan/pump/motor mounts........everything matched up perfectly!...part of why I appreciate toyotas so much! I should note they were both '85 cars. We have been using this car for the last 5 months and put on 10,000 kms, highway trips, lots of in town driving, my 16 year old daughter is learning to drive in it........it has been the most enjoyable winter car ever, I was towing the kids through 20" deep fresh powder snow on their snowboards etc. And it is unstoppable, never had it stuck......super fun to drift too........
I did have to take the starter from the 4ac when the 3ac one started giving me grief....the starter is the same except that the nose cones were different, I just swapped them and it worked out great.