1987 T4WD Wgn in Seattle $350 obo

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
tfd
My tercel:: 1987 T4WD

1987 T4WD Wgn in Seattle $350 obo

Post by tfd »

Awhile ago I listed this car
viewtopic.php?p=110810#p110810

So there are pictures and more description. It is now for sale for real. Not shown in the parts display picture is the included original service manual. The price can go up or down depending on demand.
It always starts and runs ok. There's not enough power, in my opinion, to safely operate on interstates, your opinion may differ. I found that out last time I drove to Snoqualmie Pass; faster than trucks, slower than most others. Works just fine for trips to Crystal Mountain on that slower two lane road. I would sell it with the contract including such phrases as "Buyer will install new tires", "Buyer will repair or replace fuel tank", and "Buyer understands it was wrecked once, straightened by a good shop around 2008".
We can chat about how to view and deliver. There is a license agency a mile away where you can buy new plates, as this being Washington, plates stay with the person who bought them.
It would be nice if this car were to go to someone who likes them as much I used to and will fix it up. It's not dead yet.

So here's an edit based on some inquiries from far away.
I'd be somewhat hesitant to drive it that far in its current condition. I've only ever been comfortable driving about 69 on road trips which returns 29 mpg. The absolute limit is about 85 where it becomes marginally controllable though going that fast is only a downhill proposition. There is something in the fuel or ignition system or maybe even the exhaust that is limiting power such that even keeping 69 is a challenge today. It needs valve guides to address the oil smoke on startup; otherwise it doesn't burn oil, around 1000 miles/quart. Keeping up at 75 is something that this car never could do easily. People that have put in the 4ac engine report much better performance that way.
As to licensing out of state, there are a couple options. The first is to take the title to your own county agency and get your own license plates straight away, put them on and drive away. Whether that's possible depends on your state's rules. Washington sometimes requires a VIN check performed by the state patrol before allowing an out of state car to be licensed in Washington. The second option is to buy trip permits. Washington sells them for $25, good for three days, no more than three issued. Perhaps your state will issue trip permits.

Then more:
To check some of my assertions, I went for a test drive tonight (12/14/2021) on I-5 along Boeing Field in Seattle. This stretch of worn out concrete rolls a bit with steep-ish hills at both ends. It worked ok going 75 on the downhills, could keep 68 most of the time, and would slow to 64 on the tops of the hills in fifth gear. So it would be able to road trip at a consistent 65; that is, it just doesn't feel like its running such that it could keep 69 like I used to. The tires look good but do not stick at all. It was a rainy evening and it was easy to spin the tires when a light turns green. The stereo works and includes bluetooth. Most everything works. It's a bit old and tired.
tfd
My tercel:: 1987 T4WD

Re: 1987 T4WD Wgn in Seattle $350 obo

Post by tfd »

In another listing someone asked for pictures that might include rust. Here's one that shows the rust creeping around the rear hatch, and also some of the included wheels and parts.

I've been having some trouble using the private messages feature of this board, as there have been a couple inquiries. The Use Email link might work better for you.
sumneros
My tercel:: looking to buy

Post by sumneros »

Hi is it still available
Grendle

Post by Grendle »

I actually bought this Monday via a friend in the Seattle area.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Grendle wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:42 am I actually bought this Monday via a friend in the Seattle area.
Heck yeah!