Terry Making Noise - 85 A/T Tercel 4WD DLX Wagon

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Sabrarain97
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel dlx 4WD Wagon Automatic

Terry Making Noise - 85 A/T Tercel 4WD DLX Wagon

Post by Sabrarain97 »

Hi again all!

Good news about Terry, my 85 A/T wagon: she drives ! :D Got a new rear diff, replaced wheel bearings, amongst many other things.

I have a question for you all though, so there is a noise in the front happening, it is like a whirring/whining/humming. I can’t tell if it is the front differential or just the sound of my carburetor leak (carb is not exactly perfect, another thing on the to-do). It seems to be directly correlated with the gas though, as it makes the noise as you are on the gas. It also starts around 20-25 mph and then seems to be pretty consistent after that. Anyone have any tips on what this could be?

I tried to record it, hopefully y’all can hear it. The first link is it going steady at about 55 mph. The second link is it slowing down from 55 to a stop light, turning right and then accelerating back to around 30.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/E3ZfrsTUmCXN3jKn6

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/ukzuktWaTUk8R6Ay7

Thanks again ahead of time for the support!
~Sabra w/ a 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD/FWD Automatic DLX (Terry)
ISO: Working Stock Carb for 3AC Engine
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Terry Making Noise - 85 A/T Tercel 4WD DLX Wagon

Post by dlb »

I can definitely hear it in the clips but am not sure what it is either. It doesn't sound like a bearing but then again, I've had bad bearings that don't sound like the typical growling. So my questions are these:

- when you keep the speed steady and turn corners, does the sound change at all, eg get louder or quieter?
- if you step on the clutch pedal when the sound is happening, does the sound go away?
- what kind of tires do you have and what condition are they in?
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Not sure about the A/T t4's, but my '85 FWD A/T wagon has a seperate fill for the front diff (which was low on gear oil when I got the car.) Even after draining and filling the diff it continues to whine on acceleration between 38 and 45 mph. Was like that when I got it and doesn't seem to have gotten any worse in the 33,000 miles I've driven it since.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

dlb wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:01 am
- if you step on the clutch pedal when the sound is happening, does the sound go away?
Do they put clutches on the A/T wagons in Canada? :shock:

just kidding :lol:
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

irowiki wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:50 pm
dlb wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:01 am
Do they put clutches on the A/T wagons in Canada? :shock:

just kidding :lol:
eep, ok scratch that one off the list :oops:
Toyotise
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX. 1986 4WD SR5

Post by Toyotise »

Glad to hear the Tercel is back in service. Hopefully adventures are around the corner soon.

It definetly sounds like a gear whine to me. It’s not bad by any means. Being an automatic it’s probably coming from the front differential. Not necessarily something wrong, just noise that develops from increased tolerances due to wear and tear. If you haven’t already definetly consider changing the diff fluid. Put fresh gear oil in and confirm it’s not low. The front and rear diff take 90w GL5 gear oil NOT ATF. I like to squeeze a little bit of this into dedicated differentials (do NOT put in automatic transmission!):
AB150C9D-DCAF-4DA7-90EA-5469C504C09B.jpeg
36D06F9A-F8E0-4DBF-B89A-9B4186F0357C.jpeg
Do about half a tube in the front diff and half a tube in the rear, along with fresh gear oil (if you didn’t do that already) that should quiet things down and extend their useful life. This is the cheapest place I’ve found it stateside: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/mos2-g ... oly-lm2019
It lubricates with a film of Molybdenum compound and it will help make up for loose tolerances due to normal wear.

If you haven’t changed the automatic transmission fluid and filter do that as well. DONT let a service shop talk you into a flush. Tell them you want a drain-and-fill with a new filter (flushing frequently dislodges things that cause more harm than good. Better to change the fluid more often a couple times, it’s got strong cleaners that will clean things out gently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep it Stock; Live Long.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Actually, if you put 50/50 ATF / Gear lube into the diff, drive it gently for 50~ or so miles to get it warmed up, then drain it and put gear lube into it, that will clean it up quite nicely!

Also I highly suggest the budget ATF flush, best with two people:

Figure out which line is the OUT line of your transmission cooler.
Put it in a bucket marked for quarts
Buddy starts engine, drain 2-3 quarts or until it starts foaming.
Buddy stops engine
Put cooler line back
Pour the same amount you drained back in, warm it back up, double check levels and adjust.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k