Server move incoming!

Find announcements, news, and the rules here.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Server move incoming!

Post by irowiki »

Unfortunately the hard drive dying on the current server was just a symptom of greater problems with the entire server and as a result, we need a new server. We will be moving to a new server in the next few days. It will take DNS a few days to propagate. What this means is you will see the old server while the new server is up.

Right after I make the final backup I will make a post on these forums saying it is the OLD FORUMS and any posts made on the OLD FORUMS will be lost past that point. You will still be able to read and everything.

There will then be a post on the NEW FORUMS saying it is indeed the NEW FORUMS as soon as I get it to come back up.

I'm still preparing so I will make another post when I am ready.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Re: Server move incoming!

Post by SirFoxx »

Will the new forum be on the same forum engine as the old one?
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

SirFoxx wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:00 pm Will the new forum be on the same forum engine as the old one?
Everything will be identical, it's just the backend changing.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

SirFoxx wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:00 pm Will the new forum be on the same forum engine as the old one?
To reply to your post you made after I moved, I am not sure what is "aged" about this forum because it's about the most common "free" forum software there is?

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

irowiki wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:14 pm
To reply to your post you made after I moved, I am not sure what is "aged" about this forum because it's about the most common "free" forum software there is?
Dont get me wrong, i appreciate the ad free forum.

Having been on a lot of different forums that use various different software, this one seems very bland. Theres no logo, no banner, the forum software logo is bigger than the actual site's name, theres very little in the way of appearance to the different sub forums, etc.

I dunno. It looks like the forum was made in 2005 and never updated.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

SirFoxx wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:31 am
Dont get me wrong, i appreciate the ad free forum.

Having been on a lot of different forums that use various different software, this one seems very bland. Theres no logo, no banner, the forum software logo is bigger than the actual site's name, theres very little in the way of appearance to the different sub forums, etc.

I dunno. It looks like the forum was made in 2005 and never updated.
Ah, yes, because we're using the default phpbb skin, and they've been using the same skin since the 2000s! The skin is basically phpbb's brand. Typically subforums don't have different appearances though.

When it comes to free forum software it's either phpbb or simple machines forums. I actually like SMF better but converting from one free forum to another free forum is complicated and prone to breakage. You have to pay for good forum software like Vbulletin and that's 100's of dollars.

Nobody has ever stepped up to make a new skin / logo / banner / etc or even expressed interest in wanting one, you could make a new topic over in forum talk about it, but then you'd still need someone who wanted to create the content for it. (I'm not a web or graphics designer)

At this point honestly the lower traffic is probably due more to less 4WD Tercel owners now compared to 5 years ago than anything else.

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k