Voltage regulator pinout

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
tsrnc22
My tercel:: 85 SR5, 86 SR5

Voltage regulator pinout

Post by tsrnc22 »

I had an alternator go out. I ordered a new one. I did not check to make sure it was an internal voltage regulated version and so received the unregulated version. Problem being it took a week and a half to get it and I need the car so. I ordered an external voltage regulator (GF10221B) next day delivery. I need to match the pins up but the labeling is different. On the alternator I have the battery connection (marked B) and 3 additional connections (marked F, N and E) on the regulator I have 4 pins with a diagram https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/el ... ic-104720/ showing
Pin 1 ( F / B )
Pin 2 ( 2 / ST )
Pin 3 ( 3 / + )
Pin 4 ( 4 / L / IG )
The the body shown as negative ( - )

I also found this but its for IR GM alternator to toyota not toyota alt to GM regulator https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/th ... ng.353891/
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Voltage regulator pinout

Post by Petros »

I have switched them before, it is not that complicated as I recall. I had a spare alternator in my pile of parts, and the one in my car failed. Being cheap I determined to make it work with what I had, and I did. It was a long time ago, so I could not give you specifics. You might study the wire diagram in the service manual to see where each of the wires go, that was how I rewired mine using a salvaged connector that matched the alternator I was installing. all alternators work the same way, start with the basics and than work it out from there.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
tsrnc22
My tercel:: 85 SR5, 86 SR5

Post by tsrnc22 »

So got the wiring done and working. It was a little complicated as the GMC voltage regulator has 4 pins and the Toyota 6 but checking the wiring diagram of both vehicles I figured it out. My new problem is the alternator pulley. I thought the new one would work, however after idling the car for a few mins the belt starts to smoke. I have an impact gun but after 10 mins of trying with some PBR, nothing. Its hitting it so hard enough to make impressions into the nut, albeit faint. Im thinking bend the knee and take the alternators to a shop to swap the pulley?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

a good pneumatic impact wrench will spin it off. that may be a reverse threat nut, are you sure you are turning it the right direction?

if you have a regular shop you go to often if you bring them the alternator and ask them to break the nut free for you, often they will at no charge.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)