1 ct diesel??

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

1 ct diesel??

Post by NWMO »

ebay engine

It appears this may be 21 spline. I didn't find a lot of useful dimensions for the flywheel, etc. The oil pan appears like a reasonable start. This engine was offered in 84'-86' Camrys with transverse mounting? Not that far away from me, any thoughts on level of difficulty to fit into a Tercel? A quick search doesn't show any rebuild kits on ebay, etc.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: 1 ct diesel??

Post by dlb »

I'm not sure about the 1C-T but another member tried to make a 2C-T work and said it was a no-go:

viewtopic.php?p=43505#p43505
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I know CRT ran into challenges, and the 1N-T he got is a much better fit (but the project is sitting currently). I assume a custom adapter plate would be necessary and that brings challenges of it's own. The oil pan doesn't look nearly as bad as most diesel engines though.

When I compare CRT's pics to the ebay pics, the flywheel appears the same, so it would be too large to get into "bell" housing, but the smaller flywheel could be modified ($$). I just love the idea of a diesel in one my Tercs.

Roughly adding 10hp @ 4,500 rpm and 12-15 ft-lbs at 3,000 rpm vs 3,600 or more for the gas engine. I want a little low-end grunt for off-roading.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I think diesels are a mixed bag, I have owned several diesel powered cars and trucks. Typialcally they are heavier engines, lower RPM and lower HP. they will have good low end torque, but will be lacking at the high end. And it appears the small diesels are not nearly as reliable as the larger ones used in trucks, trains, etc. Although they offer better low speed economy, for the amount of trouble to get it to work in a car not designed to be have a Diesel engine, not sure it is worth it.

the parts and repairs for diesels are always much higher. I have not really noticed they require less maintenance on the ones I have owned compared to a gasoline engine. the new generation of automobile diesels have very complex and unreliable injections systems due to federal regulations. the older ones I owned were a lot more simple, but it seemed they had a lot of other problems I did not have with gasoline equivalent. In all the diesels I have owned, the glow plug system needed constant trouble shooting, the starters were troublesome (higher cranking loads so the starters wore out faster), and they needed just as many oil and filter changes, and cooling system care, if not more, than gasoline equivalents.

I think everyone likes the idea of a low maintenance, and high MPG diesel in their car, but I am not so sure they know what the implications are of owning a diesel powered vehicle. they are also stinky.

I just as soon put a better gasoline engine swap into a Tercel4wd rather than all of the troublesome changes and adapters needed to be done to get a diesel into the Tercel.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Toyotise
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX. 1986 4WD SR5

Post by Toyotise »

It’s a neat idea. I dug into the possibility a few months ago, a seized but complete diesel Camry came up for sale near me and I researched the possibility. Yes the diesel Camry engine that came in the mid eighties US market Camrys was the one most suitable for the swap. I got as far as you have; there is basically zero aftermarket parts support, probably best bet is to have to have a few spare engines for parts support. A whole parts car with complete wiring harness is necessary I imagine. More logistically complicated than I wanted to take on.
Keep it Stock; Live Long.
eightyfive4WD
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel 4WD 5 speed wagon

Post by eightyfive4WD »

Diesel engine swaps are really enticing to me, but the project would be well out of my territory of expertise thus far. I'm a modest garage mechanic with limited experience with a harbor freight flux core welder & an arc welder. I have swapped engines, transmissions, axles, transfer cases etc. but I really have not done a ton of custom work. I've assisted on the rebuilding and custom leaf spring suspension setup of a '78 Jeep CJ-7, that's about the largest custom job I've been involved with.

If I were to swap engines in my Tercel, I would primarily be interested in doing so for fuel economy. I average 25 MPG right now with my automatic 4WD wagon. If I could find an engine to swap that would net a bit of a power increase and even yield me 5+ MPG, that would be fantastic to me.
1985 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD 5 spd wagon (manual swapped, daily driver)
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD access cab long bed (road trip/adventure-mobile)