OK so where is my Snow

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Ogedei
Advanced Member

OK so where is my Snow

Post by Ogedei »

Here it is February 13 and no snow. I bought the Terc for two reasons: 1 Needed something that got better gas mileage than my Pathfinder. Terc 27 Pathfinder 13 Check
2 I wanted to be able to drive the car daily and since I live at about 6800 feet snow is inevitable, until now.

I know those of you in the east are diggin out and I am not asking for that level of effort by Mother nature, but this is my first winter and I have not been able to test the 50/50 weight differeantial. Use the 4WD outside of my test drive ( I know many of you take yours off road but not my deal).

So I sit and look out my back window at the green slopes of the local ski area.

So if any of you out there want to send 3-6 inches my way feel free.
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

Well, there's snow up in the mountains here, and they expect some might reach the valley floor later this week, so if you want to come to Oregon, we've got some! :D I'm excited myself! :)
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

Hell, yeah, I'm on the East coast and I can say, the turtle does great in the snow! My two other vehicles are a Forester and an old Land Cruiser, and I can say the Tercel did amazingly well (for it's size). The snow was pretty light and loose, though, so even though I was nosing through some 24" piles, there was no chance of high centering. When I pulled out of my parking space without even shoveling, my neighbors just looked at me like I was insane. :shock: Later on, I saw one of them doing a "one wheel burnout" for about a minute trying to get out of their shoveled space. I just had to chuckle.

Sorry you don't have any white stuff--we were deprived until this past weekend.
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

We have big flakes coming down outside the house today. Eugene, OR.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, it is certainly an atypical Winter for STL - Valentine's Day and it is 65 degrees and climbing ! ! !
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

If it doesnt snow I am afraid I will be able to answer the questions about how well it drives through fire. Living in the high dessert like I do without rain/snow which we have had neither ther fire season in my rural neighborhood could be a bit rough. I very much dislike global warming
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

Oh, I can VERY MUCH attest the the Tercel's snow driving ability.

Especially if you put Cooper Weathermaster 165/60R14's on it.

I got about 200 yards down my road today and realised I had forgotten to grab enough smokes for work tonight. Pulled into a field access driveway. Front bumper started pushing snow. LOTS OF SNOW!! Didn't dawn on me that the drifts in the ditches around here are over 6 feet deep!! :o

Well, nothing for it but to carry on. usdhed farther into the drift enough so I could turn around, threw it into 4WD and backed out like I was on a paved road!! :lol:

Neighbor (who just recently bought a 3/4 ton 4X4 dually pickup) was quite literally :shock: He just could not believe that my little rust bucket "Jap crap ****box" could plow its way into enough snow to bury my 12 yr old son, and then back out of it like there was nothing there!!

I'm just giggling about it the whole way to work... :lol:
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Mickey_D wrote:Oh, I can VERY MUCH attest the the Tercel's snow driving ability.

Especially if you put Cooper Weathermaster 165/60R14's on it.

I got about 200 yards down my road today and realised I had forgotten to grab enough smokes for work tonight. Pulled into a field access driveway. Front bumper started pushing snow. LOTS OF SNOW!! Didn't dawn on me that the drifts in the ditches around here are over 6 feet deep!! :o

Well, nothing for it but to carry on. usdhed farther into the drift enough so I could turn around, threw it into 4WD and backed out like I was on a paved road!! :lol:

Neighbor (who just recently bought a 3/4 ton 4X4 dually pickup) was quite literally :shock: He just could not believe that my little rust bucket "Jap crap ****box" could plow its way into enough snow to bury my 12 yr old son, and then back out of it like there was nothing there!!

I'm just giggling about it the whole way to work... :lol:
That is precisely why I love these little cars so much!! That said, wish I had more snow to play in this year too! Only had about 3 days of 4" of snow, then it was gone.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

In my city in southern ontario we went the whole month of January with no snow on the ground, and the last week of december and the first week of february. This sucks. At least I don't miss my tercel as much.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I found your snow, It's in Japan! there's over 5 meters at hokaido where i'm going boarding next week! :lol:
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I've gotten 6 inches in 3 days, but its -8 here right now, so its all frozen and won't leave. Well, the first 2 in. came down, it heated up, partially melted, then froze over. And its too cold for the Mag-Chloride to work. I saw a schoolbus do a 4-wheel drift. Driver looked like he was having a blast. Kids looked like they were going to die.
Unfortunatly, baby is immobile.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
jetswim
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by jetswim »

Up here in Ontario across from Michigan we have plenty of snow and have had it since December. We get massive snow squalls off the lake. The Tercel has performed beautifully through the most extreme weather I've ever seen this year. My wife claims that the car saved her life when she was traveling on a snow/ice encrusted highway when the guy's pick-up load in front of her let go! Debris went flying all over at her including a huge piece of pink styrofoam which landed on the windshield. She had to swerve all over the road to avoid debris and even though there was ice and major winds the Tercel hung on to the road and afterwards she quietly pulled over and kissed the car.
Current rides: 1987 SR5 4WD wagon, 1989 xtra cab pickup 22RE 5spd 4X4
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

My car performs great in the mega-snow we are having in the Colorado mountains this year. In the last few weeks I've driven to Crested Butte, Aspen and Eagle. On one trip I was in four wheel drive for about 50-60 miles due to snow and blowing snow on the road...and routinely drive the car in those type of conditions. It works every time, running on the standard 13" wheels, and Zovac W401's...Ski rack full, trunk and rear seat full of gear. I go skiing a couple of times a week, in addition to ski patrolling.
Last week, during my usual 34 mile drive home from work, in the middle of the night, I drove into a blizzard. I watched a couple of fancy SUV's slide off the road and into the ditches. That little Tercel just kept on going, no sliding, got me home in good shape.
I routinely drive the car into the mountains, in the winter, with no worries other than about the other idiots ...
Too bad I am about the slowest driver on the road! At least I can pass old VW buses.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

hberdan
Too bad I am about the slowest driver on the road! At least I can pass old VW buses.
In 1983, I came from a '69 VW Bus to the '83 Tercel - Wheee - I was cruisin ! ! !
And hot water heat to boot - livin' high on the hog ! ! !

Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain