Inclinometer Wiring - SOLVED

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
tabercro
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD

Inclinometer Wiring - SOLVED

Post by tabercro »

Hi All,

I'd like to start off by saying thanks to dlb for the inclinometer installation pictorial and clear instructions. Very helpful!

I finally found an inclinometer and have it about 90% installed. I've checked the color coding on my wiring about 10 times and it checks out every time. However, when I turn on the headlights, I'm not getting power to the inclinometer illumination bulb. The two stages of the 4WD lighting are working. I've tested the bulb by changing it out and still no luck.

I'm guessing the four wires are 4WD bright, 4WD dim, ground, and inclinometer panel light. Does anybody happen to know which of the corresponding wires are going to what on the inclinometer?

dlb's instructions are as follows. I've no doubt they are right, I'm just hoping to pin down the right one:

"7-position connector in gauge cluster hood right side:
- red w/ white stripe wire of inclinometer to yellow wire of hood connector
- white w/black stripe wire of inclinometer to red w/ green stripe wire of hood connector

12-position connector in gauge cluster:
- red wire of inclinometer to green w/ red stripe wire of gauge connector--be aware that there is a mint (aka light green) w/ red stripe wire in the 12-positing connector but that is NOT the one you want.)
- black wire of inclinometer to green w/ yellow stripe wire of gauge connector"

I used the snap-lock blue splicers, which I'm a little skeptical about, but seemed like an easy and quick option given the tight quarters.

Based on some voltage testing, it looks like it might be the RED wire on INC to the GREEN W/RED STRIPE?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by tabercro on Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Tom
-------------------------
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD
1992 Volvo 740
1999 Volvo V70 R AWD
1986 Vixen 21TD
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Inclinometer Wiring

Post by dlb »

Hi tabercro. It's possible that your car or inclinometer have different wire colours than mine but I installed several inclinometers over the years and this has always worked for me, so my suggestion is to check your splices. On the car side, use a volt meter to see which wire has no voltage when the running lights are off, and voltage when they're on. Once you find that one, check on the inclinometer side of the splice to make sure it is also getting voltage when the running lights are on. Good luck!
tabercro
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD

Re: Inclinometer Wiring - SOLVED

Post by tabercro »

As I suspected, all of the wiring was correct. Turns out the illumination bulb wiring was faulty. Bad ground. I had a feeling it was that, but I really didn't want to mess with the factory wiring. However, a quick cut and splice to ground and I'm all set!

Now for reassembly!
-Tom
-------------------------
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD
1992 Volvo 740
1999 Volvo V70 R AWD
1986 Vixen 21TD
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Inclinometer Wiring - SOLVED

Post by NWMO »

Good to hear, let's see some pics when you get a chance.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain