Need help with 1982 CV axle

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
markj8977
My tercel:: 1985

Need help with 1982 CV axle

Post by markj8977 »

I know that this is a 4wd forum, but maybe someone here can help me with an 82 Tercel issue.

I need to replace/rebuild my driver side axle (clicking and clunking but still quite driveable). All I can find rebuilt is the right side. No left anywhere. So...

1) Any idea where I can get an axle?
2) If not an axle, any idea where I could buy joints only?
3) As a last resort would this work: buy a right side axle, remove the joints and put them on my left side shaft (which is a little longer '82 and earlier). I'm assuming the only difference between the two sides is the intermediate shaft length so I don't see why this wouldn't work.

The car has a confirmed 103k in case that matters. I imagine the axles are the originals.

Thanks!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Need help with 1982 CV axle

Post by dlb »

Looking at the Rockauto site, Cardone appears to have a service where you send your axle in they rebuild it. That's obviously not ideal but it's an option, anyway.
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Post by slimdude85 »

Left was 60-5005. I got a pair for my ‘81 a couple of years ago. Hopefully you can find one. Good luck.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
markj8977

Post by markj8977 »

Does anyone know how the axles are made? Can the entire joint assemblies be removed from a splined intermediate shaft of ate the inner parts of the joint made onto the shaft (no splines and clip where you can take it off). Has anyone out there been into these joints? What did they look like inside?

The 60-5005 part # was helpful. May have found one in Canada, but otherwise no luck.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Just an FYI- the drive axles for your '82 are of the same design as our cars (maybe different length/dimensions?) Thirty plus years ago, I had an '82 with a split outer boot, and stupidly took the outer joint apart- still couldn't get the new boot on (inner part of the joint was too big a diameter for the boot to slide over.) Did some checking (waay before the I-net) and found out that in order to replace the outer boot I had to remove the inner joint and boot. Had one HELL of a time re-assembling that outer joint...

In short, if the outer joint's the problem (most likely) you're pretty much stuck with replacing the axle. I've also heard the Re-mans are pretty much junk.

Good luck- hope this helps.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
markj8977

Post by markj8977 »

They are different lengths. '83 left is. 77" longer than the '82 left. I removed my axle nut and found I could accommodate maybe .3-.4" extra, but not .77".

Anyone have thoughts on putting .5" of spacer between the brake disc and hub and doing it on both sides? Would that even be possible? That would allow me to use the 2nd generation axles (I think).

Any other ideas on how to make it work?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if the difference in length is in the short spline shaft at the outer ends, than a spacer under the nut would likely work okay.

if the length difference is in the axle shaft, from the center of the cv joint to center of cv joint, there may be some rapid wear from binding of the joints. Maybe not, but a different length axle swings in a different arc.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)