Removed spark plugs, Side gapped and indexed two

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Removed spark plugs, Side gapped and indexed two

Post by Ogedei »

So I took out the exisiting sprk plugs side gapped them and then attempted to index them.

First the old spark plugs are auto lite standard plugs with 23000 miles on them. I did a Seafoam treat ment on them about 1000 miles ago.

They were gapped to .043

They had a caking of white and brown scale. The scale just fell right off without any effort but otherwise were not unexpected. Is that from the sea foam treatment? or somethign else. I took pictures but the pictures all came out green so you can not see what they really looked like.

I did side gap the plugs I used a cutting wheel this time but in the future I think I will just use a hack saw. I think the lessening of fear that I will hurt the plug will make it better.

I also indexed 2 the back two. no matter what I tried I could not index the front two and time ran out. I saw a post here about buying 8-16 plugs for the indexing to work best and I think it might be accurate. You can always take the unused ones back.

I fill up once a week and so I should know if there was any immediate effect around thursday or friday of next week. I do say the car sounds a bit bolder than it did before. We shall see.
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Removed spark plugs, Side gapped and indexed two

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Ogedei wrote: I do say the car sounds a bit bolder than it did before.
I love the wording - so hopeful, yet confident that it will be a bit braver than before...

I must look at Goldie with more respect - she could be bold, and not just a pretty face !
Thanks, Ogedei !
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I was lucky to have 4 NGK's that fit.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

hope you saw that writeup I did...I looked at a spare head to see where the valves actually were...I got mine reasonably close...strangely enough...they would have ALL been pointed in the exactly wrong direction if I hadn't been indexing them. It's a conspiracy.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...