Transmission fail??

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Briguy91
My tercel:: 85 Tercel

Transmission fail??

Post by Briguy91 »

.need some info/opinion on doing a transmission fluid change on my 85 Toyota Tercel with 86,700 miles should I or should I not change it..I want to but 3 mechanics told me they don't want to because most of the time if it gets changed on a car my year the transmission might fail..any thoughts...if I can change it would anyone be willing to help me change it? I would pay for your time... Bearded Wrencher sent me here to ask...I'm located in Texas Dallas/Carrollton area.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Transmission fail??

Post by dlb »

Are you saying you want to change the gear oil in the transmission, but some mechanics have told you not to because that might damage the transmission? That's how I'm reading your post. If that's the case, those people are incorrect. The procedure for draining and refilling the gear oil has been covered here lots and it's even in the factory service manual which can be downloaded from this site so just look those things up and follow the steps. You basically just open the fill plug first (because you don't want to drain the trans only to find out the fill plug is stuck), drain the gear oil, close the drain plugs in the way specified in the FSM, refill it with the correct type of gear oil, and snug all the drain and fill plugs up. Pretty easy.
Briguy91

Post by Briguy91 »

Yes 3 mechanics told me that it would fail if I change the fluid with new fluid..I would do it myself but I'm nervous to..I'm trying to look around and see if someone would be willing to help me out that knows cars a bit better then I do. I would also be willing to pay for anyone's time
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Don't be nervous, it's an easy job and a good place to start learning how to look after the car yourself, which is essential when you own such an old quirky car that many mechanics won't go anywhere near.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Briguy91 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:00 pm Yes 3 mechanics told me that it would fail if I change the fluid with new fluid..I would do it myself but I'm nervous to..I'm trying to look around and see if someone would be willing to help me out that knows cars a bit better then I do. I would also be willing to pay for anyone's time
You might find somebody to give you a hand and honestly, a friend helped me get started as a shade tree mechanic over 30 years ago. The FSM is quite good and if you have a decent spot to work on the car without a lot of pressure and get to a spot where you have a question, take a break, post it here and folks will be glad to provide a little guidance, pics, etc.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

is this an automatic transmission?
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Briguy91

Post by Briguy91 »

NWMO wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:49 am
Briguy91 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:00 pm Yes 3 mechanics told me that it would fail if I change the fluid with new fluid..I would do it myself but I'm nervous to..I'm trying to look around and see if someone would be willing to help me out that knows cars a bit better then I do. I would also be willing to pay for anyone's time
You might find somebody to give you a hand and honestly, a friend helped me get started as a shade tree mechanic over 30 years ago. The FSM is quite good and if you have a decent spot to work on the car without a lot of pressure and get to a spot where you have a question, take a break, post it here and folks will be glad to provide a little guidance, pics, etc.

Chris
FSM??..and I been searching around to see if I can find someone to help but no luck yet
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Briguy91 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:00 pm Yes 3 mechanics told me that it would fail if I change the fluid with new fluid..
this is just myth, often people with old worn out Auto trans cars come in for a fluid change that was neglected for 100k miles or more, and soon after the fresh ATF the trans fails. I think this is a coincidence of a neglected trans simply failing after the performance was somewhat restored (fresh ATF will have better interal pressure), causing an already worn out trans to fail. That means it was already damaged and a matter of time that it would fail. otherwise I do not see how fresh ATF would cause it to fail. some claim that the new ATF will flush out old metal chips and sludge that make it work, if that is the case it means it too is already a failed trans, just late for its own funeral.

If you are talking about a manual trans (6 speed stick shift), there is no way new gear lub would cause it to fail. it is far past the time to change it, it must be done to extend its life.

either way, for an auto trans, change the ATF, and ad some valve body cleaner and some friction improver for the clutches. I have used this on poorly shifting old auto trans and it improved performance and continued to drive and shift fine for many miles after. Should work well and extend the useful life of an auto trans.

for a manual trans, I suggest an ATF/gear oil flush. drain the old gear lube, put in 50/50 mix of a cheap gear lub and ATF, and drive it gently for a few days, up to hwy speeds to get it warm. Than drain it out and install quality 85w-90 or similar, gear lub. You can also add a moly additive to reduce wear. the ATF flush cleans out any old sludge or metal particls, it should improve shifting.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)