New to group! 1996 Toyota sprinter Carib 4wd ??

Talk about the other members of the Toyota family here
Timmeh45
My tercel:: 96 Toyota

New to group! 1996 Toyota sprinter Carib 4wd ??

Post by Timmeh45 »

Hey y’all ,

New to the group because of the similarities between the Tercel 4wd system and Carib mechanical locking 4wd with center diff locker. Have a question for all who might be knowledgeable on the subject , when draining the transmission and transaxle , is this one unit that flows oil in between ? I can’t locate a side filler port for the transaxle , looks like there is one on top but what was the purpose of that , exact ratio of fluids ? Does filler side on transmission fill over to the transaxle ?

Easy draining the rear differential but having troubles with identifying fill port for transaxle , don’t want to just do transmission especially if old fluid in transaxle could mix with new liquid moly in transmission. New to the subject so don’t scold me too hard haha

I have a manual translated from Japanese to English on the way !

Thanks if any insight

Tim
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: New to group! 1996 Toyota sprinter Carib 4wd ??

Post by Mattel »

Hi Timmeh, The sprinter Carib name was used over a few models from AL25 through AE95 and AE101 series with the last two having the centre diff lock. You probably have an AE95 and the design was totally different to the AL25 (the AL25 has no centre diff and north / south engine). We have a big group of AE95 fanatics on facebook if you'd like to meet us over there. There is also a forum for corolla alltracs.
Cheers!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Timmeh45
My tercel:: 96 Toyota

Post by Timmeh45 »

Hi Mattel ,

I have a ae114 s touring sprinter Carib

Same family alittle newer

Cheers
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that model has a completely different tranaxle/drive trail than the '83-88 Tercel4wd this forum covers.

I used to own a corolla all-trac, and I think your model is similar to our all-trac, and I do not recall the details of the transverse transaxle on that car. the front diff and trans may mix the fluids, you should be able to fill both from one filler plus, but as I said, it has been a while since I owned one and not sure about that.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Is this the kind of car you have, Timmeh45?

001.gif

If so, I'm afraid Petros and Mattel are correct in that it is quite different from the al25 so we probably aren't a good resource on specific info like where the filler port would be on your trans. Sorry mate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.