Tercel exhaust options

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
kitchman
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 2wd tercel hatch back ,1986 SR5

Tercel exhaust options

Post by kitchman »

The last curved portion of the oem exhaust pipe is rusted and curious if some here have adopted a straight pipe alternative to this stock configuration?
Any photos would be greatly appreciated!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: Tercel exhaust options

Post by SynthDesign »

It won't work as the axle will be in the way when it articulates. It shouldn't cost more than $60 to have an exhaust shop weld in a new U pipe to the muffler.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGZVe5razhw
Robert Walker gives a great description of making your own over axle pipe with a few ready made 90 degrees.
ERobichaud
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4x4 stock for now

Post by ERobichaud »

Hello, Brand new here and new to tercels, but not brand new to old yotas though. I just acquired a very nice 85 tercel 4x4 but its in dire need of exhaust. its broke off and missing right behind the CAT so I don't have the old pipe to look at and try to replicate. also, I'm in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere Alaska and don't have access to a bender. I can cut and weld but not bend easily. has anyone experimented with a system for one of the old Rwd corollas? it looks like it should be close. I'm just looking for the easiest option, but there might not be one. I cant seem to find the Walker 46691 pipe for sale anywhere. I might just end up buying so 90s and just try yo figure it out. After I get the exhaust figured out, Im gonna try swapping rear struts off my old Corrola Alltrac (destined for the scrap yard) to see if I can get an inch or so of lift. and possibly tackle a tranny swap to a 6spd from another parts tercel I've got to get rid of the Joke of an auto mine has in it. Ive always hated auto trannys and man o man, this is no exception.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum.

I would think the exhaust from a rwd corolla would be very similar, especially for the same year 4ac equipped corollas, but not so much from the all-trac since that engine is installation is very different. though where it goes over the rear axle might be the same, those rear axles are almost identical. a complete RWD corolla exhaust system can likely be made to work with some cutting and splicing in strategic locations. the corolla one might be a bit longer over all, but where it goes over the rear axle, and than exits out of the rear, on the left side of the fuel tank, should be the same.

switching to the manual trans is a good improvement. you are lucky to have the whole car for parts, everything bolts up okay, but there are a lot of bits and pieces that have to go alone with the trans swap. do not junk the car until you have completed the swap.

BTW, that auto trans is often sought after by some members who want to keep the auto trans TErcel4wd going, they are far less common. though shipping costs may be high, I am sure there is someone who would take it anyway. Even if it not perfect, there are many parts that are hard to find for the auto trans that are worth keep it and offering it to others on the forum or on the FB Tercel4wd group.

good luck!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

ERobichaud wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:54 pm Hello, Brand new here and new to tercels, but not brand new to old yotas though. I just acquired a very nice 85 tercel 4x4 but its in dire need of exhaust. its broke off and missing right behind the CAT so I don't have the old pipe to look at and try to replicate. also, I'm in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere Alaska and don't have access to a bender. I can cut and weld but not bend easily. has anyone experimented with a system for one of the old Rwd corollas? it looks like it should be close. I'm just looking for the easiest option, but there might not be one. I cant seem to find the Walker 46691 pipe for sale anywhere. I might just end up buying so 90s and just try yo figure it out. After I get the exhaust figured out, Im gonna try swapping rear struts off my old Corrola Alltrac (destined for the scrap yard) to see if I can get an inch or so of lift. and possibly tackle a tranny swap to a 6spd from another parts tercel I've got to get rid of the Joke of an auto mine has in it. Ive always hated auto trannys and man o man, this is no exception.
if you do the swap, make sure you swap in the reinforcement plate. youll need to drill out all the spot welds to remove it.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
ERobichaud

Post by ERobichaud »

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm looking forward to getting and hopefully adding lots of great info on here. I'd check out the exhaust on my 89 all trac, but it too is also missing. I loved that car, but I sure didn't like working on it compared the the tercel. I think I might order up a cat back system for a rwd corolla and see what it takes. Its the part that goes over the axle that I'm really hoping fits. I can deal with the rest. I doubt I'll tackle the tranny job for a while. I've got to many other projects at the moment and my "parts car" isn't quite mine yet and is still on the road. Not.for long though. Rust got the best of it. Sad cuz its the dream tercel with ac, cruise, inclometer, and plad seats to boot. If shipping isn't outrageous I'm sure I'll have some parts and pieces for sale off it.
I'd defiantly sell my auto tranny if and when I get to it. It works perfect and the car only has 82,000 very easy miles on it and it's in very nice shape besides the front seats. Best of all, it was free! Been sitting in a friend's shed for about 5 years and they wanted it out of the way. I'm the 3rd owner and known the previous 2 owners personally. Lived most its life in a heated garage and only driven once every few weeks. Rare for a car in Alaska to be so rust free.
ERobichaud

Post by ERobichaud »

In case anyone is interested, I finally got around to my exhaust project on the tercel. I ordered a cat back system for a rwd corolla (auto zone part number 287-559) for 200 bucks. With a little cutting and welding right behind the cat, it fit well and lines up with all the original heat shielding and hangers. It took about 4 hours to install. If I was a better welder it would have been faster. It looks to be a pretty high quality all welded system too. I was able to get the whole thing in in one piece, but not without a fight. I'd be much easier to cut it and have one coupling.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks for the update.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain