OEM steel wheels paint color

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
kitchman
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 2wd tercel hatch back ,1986 SR5

OEM steel wheels paint color

Post by kitchman »

Hello all, I'm in the process of redoing my 86 wagon's steel wheels which are originally white. Does anyone know the original paint code used and if there is a cross reference to a spray can off the shelf?
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Re: OEM steel wheels paint color

Post by ALiveSR5 »

kitchman wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:27 pm 86 wagon's steel wheels originally white. know original paint code?
That's an interesting question, considering the body paint code is easily found. When I had my 1985 wagon repainted, a Mercedes white color was found to be the closest "eyeball' match (apparently the paint shop could not find the Toyota wheel paint code, either). I was not told the Mercedes paint code. :(

I also found that the Duplicolor paints, which are supposed to match the OEM body paint code are not even close (could be because the body paint fades over time or the color pigments were changed over time - i.e. it appears that newer Toyotas with the same paint code as the Tercel are a different shade).

If you are going to use a spray can, you might as well find something that you like that matches as close as possible. At least if you need to do touch up or repainting, you may have better luck matching what you previous had.

Maybe someone knows the paint code but you may need to have it custom mixed by a body shop supplier (which should also be able to find the paint code). Custom mixes, though, may be difficult to duplicate, though, if there is a future need for more.

I was also told that powder coating is a good option and does not cost all that much more than a professional paint job.

Hope that helps some.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?