Tommy’s Turdcel

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
brotherbob
My tercel:: 84-85

Tommy’s Turdcel

Post by brotherbob »

Take two make one! 84 and 85…
Father Son project.

Do you guys have an app like tap talk?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brotherbob

Re: Tommy’s Turdcel

Post by brotherbob »

The donor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

Numero uno - 85 Tercel 4WD SR5 AC PS- hit hard DS door as a running car 125k parked and sat since 03! This car has been stripped clean and the body is about to go to scrap.

Numero Dos - 84 Tercel 4WD SR5 AC PS- bought as a parts car with a known bad transmission? This car has now hit center stage and we are going to teach her how to dance!

So plan is make it run and drive first!
1-engine runs off a can very well. FP is down and lines clogged, so tank needs to come out.

I was planning on using the 85 transmission but I’m guessing that requires a rear axle change for me as well?
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

What’s it gonna take to fit these? :mrgreen:
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Welcome to the forum, BrotherBob. Looks like you have really stripped the donor car bare, nice work. You should remove those roof racks too though, I love that style. Not super functional but they look great.

I don't think we have any apps for the forum but I also don't have a smart phone so maybe one of the other blokes will be able to answer more definitively.

Yes, you will likely have to swap the rear diff along with the trans from the '85. Before you go to all that work though, you should count the teeth on each unit to confirm which gear ratio they are. It is surprising how often members here have found that trans/diffs have already been swapped in a new-to-them car, but with mismatched ratios. I can't remember the details on how to count the teeth but if you do a search here on it you should find it.
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

dlb wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:58 am Welcome to the forum, BrotherBob. Looks like you have really stripped the donor car bare, nice work. You should remove those roof racks too though, I love that style. Not super functional but they look great.

I don't think we have any apps for the forum but I also don't have a smart phone so maybe one of the other blokes will be able to answer more definitively.

Yes, you will likely have to swap the rear diff along with the trans from the '85. Before you go to all that work though, you should count the teeth on each unit to confirm which gear ratio they are. It is surprising how often members here have found that trans/diffs have already been swapped in a new-to-them car, but with mismatched ratios. I can't remember the details on how to count the teeth but if you do a search here on it you should find it.
Thanks Bubba! We are having fun with them.
duragauge
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by duragauge »

brotherbob wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:49 am What’s it gonna take to fit these? :mrgreen:
I'm running 185/65R14 which gives me a diameter of 23.5". They fit fine even before I did a lift.

Those 165/80R13 have basically the same diameter, 23.4", but are narrower so you won't have to worry much about the tire rubbing inside the wheel well.

Can't wait to see more of your progress!
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

duragauge wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:01 pm
brotherbob wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:49 am What’s it gonna take to fit these? :mrgreen:
I'm running 185/65R14 which gives me a diameter of 23.5". They fit fine even before I did a lift.

Those 165/80R13 have basically the same diameter, 23.4", but are narrower so you won't have to worry much about the tire rubbing inside the wheel well.

Can't wait to see more of your progress!
Boy that info makes me feel better already, we just knew chunky tires were a must have on this car.
Anybody know of any cheap solutions in front and rear bumpers? Like a side by side tube ones or ?
Im retired so the manual labor is FREE around here and my Son whos 30 is finally getting in line for a fun car.

Now back to researching the forums on axle ratios, ID numbers, common failures,carb conversion.

thank yall for the forum and the warm welcome I'll post as things move along more.

BB
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

brotherbob wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:44 pm
Now back to researching the forums on axle ratios, ID numbers, common failures,carb conversion.
here is a faq that might cover some of your questions:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7442
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

FC4EA30D-24C1-4557-9B98-08DF8ACEB7B1.jpeg
Ok been through the FAQs

Bought a power washer to clean this nasty machine.
Decisions have been made to remove 100% of the drive train , wash , paint and service the engine and transmission out of the car.

Tires are still coming
Got engine service stuff
Plugs, FF, wires, cap,oil change…

Front R spindle gotta come out.
Both lower control arms are shot but I have good ones.

I’m gonna go count teeth on the diff now….
Oh and pictures cuz you guys love pics!
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

Whooo hoooo
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

Progress
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

Been busy taking glamour shots now back to work!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Welcome to the site. Great looking car, crazy tires too.
brotherbob

Post by brotherbob »

marlinh wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:45 pm Welcome to the site. Great looking car, crazy tires too.
Thank you! I’m still excited, and this is a great site for info