Dizzy timing

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Dizzy timing

Post by SirFoxx »

Hello--

Quick question. How much timing does the mechanical advance add, as well as the vacuum advance? Need to know this info for my turbo build.

Thanks!
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Dizzy timing

Post by Petros »

I do not recall, but over in the factory service manual there is a section about testing the distributor advance, with instructions. in that section it tells you the max mechanical advance you should get at a certain rpm.

As I recall, you remove and cap off the vac advance lines, put a timing light on the front pulley and check for correct timing at idle, and than rev the engine up to something like 2200 rpm, at which point the spark timing is supposed to advance up to something like 20 deg btdc. but I do not recall the correct values, that is the simple procedure.

If it does not do that it means the mechanical advance is sticking and you need to clean the lubricate the parts so it operates properly. if you find that section in the FSM, under ignition system chapter, you will get your answer. there is a FSM available in PDF form for free down load elsewhere in this forum.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)