Project Overview #2 (4age swap)

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Adventure_build
My tercel:: 1984 sr5 4wd 5 speed 2 inch lift and soon 4age swap.

Project Overview #2 (4age swap)

Post by Adventure_build »

Back again to finish the project overview of my 1984 Tercel 4wd 4age red top. I left off at getting the head completely redone. Now it's time to show the engine with new ARP head studs and a cometic headgasket that is thinner than original to up the compression ratio.
20210519_194106.jpg
20210519_194217.jpg
Once the head was installed I realized that the distributor would seat down all the way since the head stud was now in the way so i had the cut the end shaft in of the distributor and grind it down just enough to be clear of it.
So, to make a 4age work in the Tercel without major alterations is using all the factory brackets from the 3ac and bolting it on the 4age block since they are the same engine block basically. The biggest headache I had was making the alternator work with the distributor in the way.
I end of making a custom bracket for the adjuster side (top) alternator mount. Then I had to swap the harmonic balancer pulley from the 3ac onto the 4age. I eventually found the right belt to fit the custom set up and got the turbo manifold mounted with the oil filter relocation kit installed since it would be nearly impossible to get to once put in the car with the turbo manifold.
The reason I put a turbo manifold was not for a turbo but for making the tight squeeze work for exhaust installation.
Here are some pics of the engine before install:
20210522_160402.jpg
20210522_160414.jpg
20210529_101237.jpg
20210529_101315.jpg
OK so now before I forget getting the flywheel, clutch and starter to work was kind of a dousey. First, I switched mounting plate from the 3ac over and brought the flywheel for both engines into a machine shop where they took the ring gear from the 3ac flywheel and then cut down the 4age flywheel press fitted the ring gear on in the same position. Issue with that is the depth that the mounting bolts sit at are deeper which pushed the ring gear further in than the original. So now I had to get creative with the starter mounting. I decided to use a bunch of washers to reference when the starter sits where it needs to be and bolted the starter up to the mounting plate. eventually figured out with was exactly a 1/2 inch difference so i got that machine shop to make a starter mounting plate 1/2 inch thick. Afterwards once the engine was put in the vehicle the original starter wouldn't fit with the turbo manifold so i had to grab the other type of starter that works with the tercels that are direct drive.
Everyone talks about how you need a kit for the coolant lines and you need the intake manifold flipped to rwd application. But I didnt need to do either of those! I used what the donor car had for coolant lines and was able to make it work with the Tercel. The vaccum lines were altered to work with some of the vsv emissions stuff being relocated or being it was the Tercels original stuff like the charcoal canister.
The intake was able to work with a 90 degree hard tube and then a 90 degree turbo rubber elbow.
20210611_140121.jpg
20210611_140106.jpg
Next we get the radiator in and the awful wiring routed.
The radiator I got for this is a all aluminum 3 core radiator originally for an ae86 corolla. To make this work I had to cut the bottom radiator mount and reweld it farther over. The top mounts worked by drilling holes for through bolt to tighten down on nuts.
The wiring started off with me mounting the 4age ecu up near the inner firewall on the passenger side feet area. wires were able to run through a factory hole in the Tercel. First, I routed the fuel injector wires and tried matching as much plugs that I can. Some things like the ignitor had to have extra wires connected in to reach where I had to relocate the unit. I was able to supply power to the 4age harness by running a power wire to the other side of the engine bay and bolting it together with a rubber mount to isolate it from ground. Engine has its grounds to the battery itself and to the chassis. I end up cutting the alternator connection wires on the 4age harness since I kept the Tercel Harness for power distribution.
20210717_203137.jpg
20210717_203126.jpg
20210717_203112.jpg
20210717_202922.jpg
The last thing before my questions is the fuel pump, subframe, and Hood... I added an inline electric fuel pump right near the tank and was able to feed the power wire through the cab alongside the rear speaker wires and connected it to a wire that received power with Key-on.
The subframe was dropped about 3/4 inch down using washers and longer bolts. This lowered the engine down so it can fit under the hood since the 4age sits higher. This also helped with the Axle alignment. The only thing that still didnt fit under the hood is the intake manifold. Thats when I had a cut out a small hole in the hood(as shown above) to let the front end of the manifold stick out.
My concerns are first, What is crucial in wiring an ECU in a engine swap like this? Engine will crank, but wont fire up. Not sure what im missing since wiring is my weakness.
Since Im low on funds and time Im considering selling the Tercel as is for someone that knows how to get swaps like this to work.
Transmission has new fluids, has new speakers and a sony BT stereo. Will come with a box of seals and gaskets and also Air conditioning parts from the Corolla parts car. Contact me if interested.
20210407_191625.jpg
20210407_191650.jpg
20210407_191751.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Project Overview #2 (4age swap)

Post by dlb »

Welcome to the forum!

I can't believe that after all that work, you're considering selling it! You're so close, don't give up now! There are a handful of people here that have completed 4age swaps, you might want to PM some of them since not everyone checks in regularly and sees all these posts. Larry is the first guy that comes to mind, he did a really nice swap and is very knowledgeable about all aspects of the swap. Here's his build thread.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7576
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you did a really nice job, why give up? This is very doable, many on here and elsewhere have tackled it. there is nothing to be intimidated about the wiring, you just need to get a copy of the wire diagram for the original engine install, and perhaps a logic diagram, and study it. you likely can find it on the internet somewhere. it will become obvious what you need to do once you know how it all works together. it is not hard to learn, it is just new.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Cryotreat the tranny yet?
K-Business