Rear Springs & 14" tires?!? (it's been talked about Over & over)

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Blank_Man
My tercel:: 1984 DLX

Rear Springs & 14" tires?!? (it's been talked about Over & over)

Post by Blank_Man »

I just finished rebuilding my front end and added a 1"inch spacer with the cut board technique and turned out great. However; the sway bar is a bit tricky to reinstall with the added space. Any tips besides a jack? Thanks.

I also replaced the rear shocks but am now in the hunt for a pair of springs for the rear to lift it slightly. Nothing crazy maybe 1-2inches.

I saw the thunderbird springs and the jeep springs - However both were sold out.

Anyone else with an idea? Looking for something that will fit without a much of modification.

Also, picked up a set of 14" wheels and looking for some advice on tires. Mostly; all my driving is pavement expect for the few occasions i go to the beach via a dirt road. No plans for overland.

Thanks and look forward to the advice.

Blank Man from Eugene, Oregon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Rear Springs & 14" tires?!? (it's been talked about Over & over)

Post by NWMO »

I like the springs off the 85’-88’ ?? Nissan Pathfinders for the rear. Nice lift, heavier spring, but doesn’t ride poorly. I don’t recall Thunderbird springs?? shocks maybe, but not springs.

I believe I an running 195/70R14 for tire size and it does great.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I have Monroe MA700 rear air shocks on mine https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-MA700-Max ... B000C55SZK they can be a bit firm but good with the old soft springs and can add more air for greater ride height.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Blank_Man

Post by Blank_Man »

NWMO wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:36 pm I like the springs off the 85’-88’ ?? Nissan Pathfinders for the rear. Nice lift, heavier spring, but doesn’t ride poorly. I don’t recall Thunderbird springs?? shocks maybe, but not springs.

I believe I an running 195/70R14 for tire size and it does great.

Chris
Thanks for the reply Chris...

This is what i found on rock auto - From a 87 Pathfinder 2.4L - This look about right? Am going to go with the 61.79 dollar one if it's correct.

Will they fit into the mount without modification?

Any chance you have a photo or the make/type of tire?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blank_Man

Post by Blank_Man »

Mattel wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:31 am I have Monroe MA700 rear air shocks on mine https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-MA700-Max ... B000C55SZK they can be a bit firm but good with the old soft springs and can add more air for greater ride height.
Mattel,
thanks for the suggestion. I read about the monroe air but wasn't sold. Maybe am too basic but i liked the idea of something with maintenance. I ran two other airs with airbags and i know there's a huge difference between the two but it was a nightmare. Mostly; due to the computer system and how it tied into so many things.

Any suggestions on the rear bushings for the bars? I installed rear shocks & found a new set for the shock bushing but now looking for the sway bar in the rear.

Thanks
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Blank_Man,

It looks like they are out of stock on thise now, but maybe you got the last set. No mods needed, they should fit in fine.

What was your take on the temps for the Olympic runners, sounds like it was difficult for many?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Here is what I’m running. I think I have about 40k miles on them, still plenty of tread.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

If you want some beefier springs along with height, Pathfinders are the obvious choice. If you want to retain the OE ride go with rubber spacers that are designed to go between coils but put them all the way on top. Some cutting to match the spring diameter is all that's needed. Along with the wrestling match to get them in.. They will nestle in to the body's spring pocket nicely. https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-1287-U ... CFIM&psc=1
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey Splatterdog,

Getting ready for this year's Meet & Greet in northern Arkansas in a month, but hoping to be in Michigan next year. If you took the car ferry at Manitowoc, WI, to Ludington, MI, it would be a shorter drive. I would love to see your fishing rig!

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

for tires, go with an all season M+S (mud and snow) rated tire, with a mild tread pattern. it will do well on rough gravel roads and snow, but still ride nicely, be quite at highway speeds, and not harm the fuel economy. deep tread "off road" tires wear out fast, are noisy and get poor economy, not good for a car you want mostly for hwy driving.

I bought Michelin all season tires for mine with 14" alloy wheels, I think they were 195/65x14" as I recall. the rolling diameter made my speedo and odometer more accurate than with the factory tires. they are quite on the hwy, excellent traction, and they wear well, many miles without noticeable wear.

looks like you got other good advise, have fun.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Blank_Man

Post by Blank_Man »

NWMO wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:12 pm Blank_Man,

It looks like they are out of stock on thise now, but maybe you got the last set. No mods needed, they should fit in fine.

What was your take on the temps for the Olympic runners, sounds like it was difficult for many?

Chris
Chris,

Right now the order hasn't shipped but crossing my fingers they ship. Excited to finally wrap this project up - It's been a bit. Thanks for the tire suggestions as well.

For the track part (track races) it wasn't so bad but the marathon athletes absolutely suffered. brutal for them but athletes had time to prepare and race with the knowledge it was going to be a nightmare. Still doesn't make it much fun.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Blank_Man,

Glad to be of any help, I've received more than given and we have a great group here, with many of us on the similar (but unrelated) FB page as well. Looking forward to pics/stories of adventures with your car.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

NWMO wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:56 am Hey Splatterdog,

Getting ready for this year's Meet & Greet in northern Arkansas in a month, but hoping to be in Michigan next year. If you took the car ferry at Manitowoc, WI, to Ludington, MI, it would be a shorter drive. I would love to see your fishing rig!

Chris
Have to wait and see. Summers haven't left me a lot of recreational time lately. I'm hoping my earthwork is done by then.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

What are you playing in the dirt for and with. Most in this part of the midwest use the 4WD tractors pulling a couple of pans. We did rent an articulating 30CY truck for a project, but doesn’t happen often.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

if you haven't done so already, check out this thread on the Forum:

"The Definitive List of Ways to Lift a Tercel 4wd"
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13106&start=45
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016