New Terdcel

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

New Terdcel

Post by Neu »

Hey y'all.

I finally picked up a new tercel. This is an '85 that I grabbed for $2200 a few months ago. It grew up out in vermont but eventually moved to Seattle sometime in the 2000s. There is some body rust but nothing to worry about here in the west.

It's in incredible shape. The only issues would be that the brakes need some work(cylinder most likely) and it burns a lil oil. Otherwise basically everything works fine. I also have an overvoltage issue with the alternator. I'm waffling on what to do about that so any advice there would be helpful(the idiot light/brake lights come on occasionally when I rev over 4200rpm. My headlights get brighter and the interior fan gets faster).

The best thing about this car? It easily gets 27mpg and I've pulled 31mpg a few tanks. I've never had mileage like this in any of the tercels I've owned. With freeway drafting I got 35mpg on a tank. I'm blown away by those numbers.

It came with roof racks, then I picked up a thule for free to go along with it. It has a BMW sound system that the previous owners installed and then I installed a new head unit. It also came with service records going back to the 90s which is pretty incredible. It was mostly serviced by an old asian mechanic in Seattle.

The interior is perfect. The body has some rust spots from being on the east coast.

Miles were, I think, 248k when I bought it and it's around 253k right now.

I've already done A LOT of camping in this car. I'm 6'1" and have no problems sleeping in the back of it. I use a sleeping pad and sleep diagonal. Works great.

Work I've already done: new rear shoes and rear brake rebuild kit. Various small fixes like interior light upgrades, fluid flushes/changes, tune up.

Upcoming work to be done: new tires, new master cylinder, new front pads/rotors. Whole exhaust replacement.

I also need to work on the fuel level unit but the screws are so rusted I doubt I'll be able to remove that. The fuel gauge works for the most part.

Now time for the pictures. Idk why some of them are rotated incorrectly but if you click them they have the correct orientation.
20210715_115808.jpg
20210715_115801.jpg
20210715_115634.jpg
20210715_115553.jpg
20210715_115539.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Re: New Terdcel

Post by Neu »

I also figure I'll mention the fact I did the Gambler 500 in this car and the only thing that went wrong was the exhaust somewhat fell off near the cat. It sucks but I'll replace it.

Otherwise this car DESTROYED at the gambler. I was crawling up things that jeeps were having troubles with. Because of the short wheel base it can maneuver in areas that other vehicles simply can't. I even showed off a bit and did some of the obstacles in reverse cuz..why not?

It's one of the best things when people see this car and don't think much of it. Next thing they know it's climbing things that their 4x4 struggles with.

I had an absolute blast in this car during that weekend but to anyone who owns one that comes as no surprise.

Oh, i also managed 25mpg while doing the gambler so that's also a big bonus I guess. lol
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Excellent!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Welcome back Chad! Great looking car. Did you get video of the Gambler exploits?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Wow, welcome back Chad. It's been a long time! Looks like the car was a good score. I don't see many for sale here anymore, and when I do people are selling them in beater shape for as much as you paid -- it's crazy how much the market for them has changed.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Congrats on the new ride! Car looks great and they are fun to drive. I’ve been missing mine, but we’re nearly roadworthy again.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Toyotise
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX. 1986 4WD SR5

Post by Toyotise »

It’s such a pleasure to find one that’s been thoughtfully run and cared for all its life! Fun times!
Keep it Stock; Live Long.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

Thanks everyone! It's nice to be back and enjoying the resources that this forum has.

I had it up on a lift yesterday and discovered that the passenger cv is leaking a bit, so that will need to be replaced in a lil while. Also the exhaust header is leaking a bit and there's a leak at the rear end of the cat. $300 quote for a cat-back exhaust replacement.

And yeah I can't believe I only paid $2200 for this thing. They were originally asking $3100 and I was the second person to make an offer. The first guy offered $2000 so I offered $2200 and they accepted.

I have a new brake master cylinder on the way from RockAuto. The next easy repair I'm doing is the voltage regulator, but that's really not a big issue. The alternator obviously works so I'm flip flopping on whether or not to replace the whole alternator or just the regulator. Regulators are like $40-$70 while a near alternator isn't much more.

Oh and unfortunately I didn't take any media during the gambler 500 of the terdcel. I was too busy laughing the entire time and trying to breath through the insane amount of dust which is still all over the interior of my car.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Did you go the MR2 replacement Master Cylinder? I think this was a Petros upgrade.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

nah I just went with a replacement from rock auto.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

If I’m not mistaken, the MR2 M/C upgrade typically accompanies rotor/caliper upgrade.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

NWMO wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:12 pm If I’m not mistaken, the MR2 M/C upgrade typically accompanies rotor/caliper upgrade.
you are mistaken, sort of: you can replace the rotors and calipers with the larger ones, without the master upgrade, and you can replace the master/booster without replacing the rotors and calipers. each up grade can be done independent of the other.

However, both will improve your braking performance, and will be best to replace both at the same time get the best braking performance. but it is not require to do both at the same time, it is perfectly safe to do one, or the other, or both together. if fact you will be safer to do either one, or both, than the stock set up (even though technically that configuration does not have federal DOT approval in the Tercel...but what do they know, they approved the inadequate stock set up in the first place :lol: ).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks Peter! Always helpful.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain