Motor of wiper

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Ismo
My tercel:: 87 wagon

Motor of wiper

Post by Ismo »

Hey! i have a little problem here with my wiper. My second vitess doesn't work and i need to figure it out what it is... i just change the motor but its again just de first gear that work but not the second... can someone help me with that ? is that the relay? or in the switch? im a bit fed up.... haha thanks !!!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Motor of wiper

Post by Petros »

I think these motors use a center tap in the windings for the mid speed, so if one speed does not work it means one set of windings is burnt out.

the other cause might be the multi switch on the steering column. worn or corroded contact at the switch. the switch is designed to be removed, opened and serviced. it is not too difficult to remove the steering wheel, and than remove the switch assembly, take the housing apart, and clean the contacts, on mine I also bent the contacts a bit to improve the contact.

it is worth a try, may fix it.

I think this motor should still be available new, they were common to other models. the motor itself is usually very reliable and lasts a long time, so getting one from a wrecking yard is a good bet, look for any model sedan/car from the same years as the tercel, and than compare it carefully to make sure it will bolt up. as I recall the collora wiper motor is almost identical, but uses a different connector (which would be easy to swap over if necessary).

the switch at the steering column is more commonly the problem in my experience. but anything is possible on a car this old.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)