Front End refresh and miscellaneous parts review/appraisal

This is a forum JUST for posting part numbers.
Toyotise
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX. 1986 4WD SR5

Front End refresh and miscellaneous parts review/appraisal

Post by Toyotise »

Just got done on some front end refresh on the Tercel. Plus some brake parts, and miscellaneous. No ride height modification. Hopefully this is a helpful resource for those out there looking for the right parts to rebuild front end suspension. This is what I used and my appraisal/ ongoing review of the parts I used.

Ball Joints

Brand: Mevotech
Part #: MEV MK9345
Country of Origin: China
Availability as of 7/1/2021: Rock Auto

Notes: Typical Chinese part quality finish, probably best described as adequate. Interestingly these ball joints are the only ones I found on Rock Auto with Zert fittings, not as sealed units. Straight zert fittings included are incompatible with re-greasing once installed on the car (cv axle interferes with access). Installed 90 degree angled ones for grease gun access. Will see how they stand up to wash-boarded roads. As long as the interior construction is of average metallurgy and tolerance-fit I have good expectations seeing as they are greaseable/serviceable.

Front Wheel Bearings; SKF packaging, one stamped NSK, one stamped KOYO
Brand: NSK/ KOYO
Part #: SKF CW FW104
Country of Origin: BOTH Stamped JAPAN

Notes: Not sure if I got what was listed on the website or if some parts got mis/re-boxed. Maybe just the luck of the draw from a pile of NOS. As long as I see JAPAN stamped on both that’s okay with me. Cleaned and re-greased both with high quality red lithium based wheel bearing grease. The KOYO had a metal ball bearing retaining ring, the NSK used a plastic one.

Front Wheel Seals
Brand: TTO
Part #: SKF 19644
Country of Origin: TAIWAN

Notes: Came inside the ubiquitous Green SKF cardboard box, a retro (old) plastic bag with brand TTO printed in blue on the back and a part label on the front Including the kit# (WO14) and the individual component #s (F382, F6183, TO12). Inner and outer seal good quality, nice tight fit, drive in smoothly, Retaining ring (goes on inner wheel seal side to secure it) needs finishing work to fit. I bent up the first one I tried to drive in, Outer diameter is too tight. Reused one old one (carefully removed, good condition, still tight fit). Careful finishing with sandpaper/ file too slow. Careful finishing removing material from outer diameter with bench grinder, and test, bench grinder and test, until tight fit achieved.

Outer Tie Rod ends
Brand: ACDelco
Part #: Left: DEL 45A0386, Right: DEL 45A0387
Country of Origin: JAPAN

Notes: Always Happy to see stamped MADE IN JAPAN. Finish quality and installation fit reflect it. No problems, no drama. Sealed units, No grease fittings/ non serviceable.

Front Stabilizer Bar Mounting Bushings

Brand: AC Delco
Part #: DEL 45G0673

Notes: Good bushings. Appear to be NOS. Inside AC Delco cardboard box come packaged in retro aged-though sealed plastic. Nice supple rubber. Were plumper than the worn cracked ones they replacing, tight squeeze installed in their brackets. Good snug fitment all around.

Lower Control Arm -to- Sway Bar Bushings (aka Cushions).

Brand: Toyota Dealership
Part #’s: (2) 48674-16030, (2) 48675-16041 (per car)
Country of Origin: JAPAN (?)
Availability as of 7/1/2021: Ordered through local Toyota Dealership Parts counter.

Notes: Toyota calls them Cushions when looking up in their system. Good bushings. Expensive. The only way I could find to get the original style rubber bushings. Installed just fine. Make sure the one gets installed facing the correct direction, it is obvious which way it’s supposed to go if you contemplate it for a moment.

Front Shock Absorber

Brand: KYB
Part #’s: KYB 363037
Availability as of 7/1/2021: RockAuto

Notes: Just fine average replacement shock. Insert right into strut assembly with no play once assembly cap replaces. Slightly less dust protection of rubber wipes/seals than NOS inserts.

Rear Shock Absorbers

Part #’s: KYB KY343149
Country of Origin: MEXICO
Availability as of 7/1/2021: AutoHausAZ

Notes: Out of Stock at Rock Auto when I made my order. Made in Mexico can be okay if they taught the fellow on the assembly line how to do it right. Seems like a fine average decent shock absorber with full travel dust protection built into upper housing. Came with lower rubber bushing insert installed, new upper rubber bushings/cushions and “squeeze plates”, with washers-bolts/ mounting hardware.

Front and Rear Brake Hoses

Brand: Raybestos
Part #’s: Raybestos RAY BH38273 (Fronts), RAY BH36975 (Driver Rear), RAY BH 36740 (Pass. Rear) Country of Origin: USA/ China

Notes: Rear left hose came in old style Raybestos Packaging Made in USA. Others in new style packaging made in China. All were uniformly 1-2” longer than the old ones I removed from the car. All Installed without any issues.

Front Shock Absorber Bump Stop/ dust boot assembly

Part #’s: KYSB103

Notes: Made in China. Bump Stop is softer than the one it replaces, some kind of foamy plastic, not true substantial rubber. Might be adequate. Dust Boot likely is not adequate over the lifetime of shock absorber. Boot is chinsy yogurt container type plastic, not durable rubber. If you can find another option/ brand do so, it cannot be much worse than this kit. I could be wrong but time will tell.

Front Brake Pads

Brand: Meyle
Part #: MY 025 208 7015 CP
Country of Origin: Germany
Availability as of 7/1/2021: AutoHausAZ

Notes: Ceramic Pads, seem quality enough. Stop the car just fine anyway...Havent tried any panic stops since installation. Will update

10mm Recessed Allen Key Transmission Filler and Drain Plugs

Brand: Toyota
Part #’s: Filler plug: 90341-18021, Magnetic Drain plug: 90341-18016 Country of Origin: ?
Availability as of 7/1/2021: Toyota Dealership

Notes: Someone on the forum mentioned these and it seemed like a good idea, glad to have them. Like three bucks each. You’ll have to make a special tool to undo the rear filler plug due to clearance between transmission housing and tunnel (cut down an allen key). Along with a new aluminum washer every time; never strip out a drain/filler plug again (?)is the idea. You’ll need two drain, and two filler (to do them all).
Keep it Stock; Live Long.
Toyotise
Advanced Member

Re: Front End refresh and miscellaneous parts review/appraisal

Post by Toyotise »

Run about 2000 miles on the above parts. Everything okay so far. I like the grease-able ball joints. Boots holding up holding grease in good. Ceramic brake pads stop the car good. Shock absorbers maybe a little on the weak side? Sags easier/ more than I’m accustomed to with other vehicles. Need new springs? I love the Toyota recessed Allen key transmission filler/ drain plugs. Very affirmative grip. Makes it easy and less stressful checking/changing transmission gear oil. Easy to un bolt. Won’t round off.
duragauge
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by duragauge »

Thanks for posting this, Toyotise. It's a good comprehensive list. I've done most of that with similar parts and am glad you've put it all in one spot. I'll be bookmarking this.
Toyotise
Advanced Member

Post by Toyotise »

Update on Rear Shock Absorbers: The made in Mexico KYB Excel G’s part number KY343149 went bad after about 2000 miles. Didn’t run them hard IMO. Car was never loaded up real heavy. Probably about 500-800 miles on dirt roads. Never drove it hard on the dirt roads (~15-30 mph range). Going to try and get warantee’d refund. Made in Japan KYB front shocks holding up fine.

Installed some new ‘OE Spectrum’ NAPA brand replacements.

Brand: Napa OESPECTRUM CAR SHOCK
Part #’s: NS 5803
Country of Origin: Made in USA
Availability as of 9/8/2021: NAPA auto parts

Will see how these last. After install ride was much better again.
Toyotise
Advanced Member

Post by Toyotise »

Update on
Mevotech Ball Joints replacements
Part #: MEV MK9345
Sourced 7/1/2021 from Rock Auto

Really liking these ball joints. Holding up well. Put in a little grease after running them 5000 miles and they were still mostly full of grease. No leaks or tears in boots.

Update on
Napa OESPECTRUM CAR SHOCK
Part #’s: NS 5803
Country of Origin: Made in USA
Installed 9/8/2021

These didn’t last long. Took a camping trip with a lot of gear and rear sagged pretty good. They were close to the maximum limit of travel on rough washboarded dirt road and bottomed out many times. Completely shot 500 miles in. Wouldn’t recommend for anything more than on pavement driving.

Replaced with MA700 air shocks (running 30 psi for normal day to day driving) I increase psi for running full camping load of gear or hauling construction supplies. Hauled 800lbs of 2x4’s fine with 45psi in them to bring ride height up to stock level. Really like these. Wish air line was a little sturdier or better protected going from shock absorber. So far held up fine. Not drive in any heavy snow/ice / mud accumulation conditions yet. Protected air lines with a little irrigation tube conduit. Will update their performance and longevity. So far very pleased. Handle driving washboarded dirt roads good. Like adjustability.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks for the great info and update!
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain