Need a transmission for my 85 4wd Sr5 6speed

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Mortburns
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota trecel sr5 4x4 wagon 6 speed...her name is whiny!

Need a transmission for my 85 4wd Sr5 6speed

Post by Mortburns »

Welp... Been all over the country this past year in our girl whiny.. My 85 sr5 4wd... Over 16k miles since march!!! She just rolled over 300k about 2 weeks ago and We were on our last leg of our journey moving from ohio to az and the transmission blew a hole in the side of the case yesterday :o so we are broke down in limon Colorado and need to find a replacement trans if at all possible? New to the site and dont really know where too look? But i Love my whiny girl and gotta get her back on the road any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kozuto_98
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 SR5 Wagon

Re: Need a transmission for my 85 4wd Sr5 6speed

Post by Kozuto_98 »

I'd offer to help but I'm sadly way over on the east coast.
Not sure what there is for junk yards in your area, but calling around/ asking around might find you something.

If you find something Just make sure your front and rear diff ratios match!
Best of luck!
1987 Tercel Wagon SR5 4WD
1998 Honda Accord Coupe V6 J35 swap
1997 Acura CL (Sold for 4A-GE money)
RIP 2016 Civic (wrist pin recall)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Need a transmission for my 85 4wd Sr5 6speed

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your trouble. I am not sure I have heard of a Tercel trans giving up that way. I have heard of the front diff disintergrating, and the trans getting bundled up, but not having somethign going through the side of the case. usually if you keep the gear oil topped up, and changed ever 20-30k miles the trans will last a very long time.

These cars are popular in Colorado, so you may get lucky by checking all the self service wrecking yards. Also check this forum, as well as the FB Tercel4wd group, as well as Craig's list, FB Market Place, and similar sources of used parts. they will be hard to find, but you may get lucky.

you will want any 4x4 wagon trans from '85 through '88 model years to get the correct ratio. I would just replace the whole transaxle assembly, with the bellhousing/front diff assembly. just to make sure the front diff was not damaged when you blew the gear box. you can make the '83-84 work if you can swap over your front diff, or change the rear diff to match the 3.73 ring and pinion ratio in the front (the '85 and later used 4.1:1 ring and pinion ratio). Swapping out the rear diff third member assembly is not too bad a job if you replace the whole unit together, it takes about 2-3 hours. if you must, you can install the earlier trans with the incorrect ratio, it will bolt up and drive fine, but DO NOT USE the 4x4 until you can change the diff so you have matching ratios front and rear.

one other alternative to get it on the road, you can install any model manual trans from any '83-86 Tercel 2wd sedan. It will drive as a front wheel drive tercel. you will have to remove the rear drive shaft so it is not flopping around. this is not a good alternative, but it will get you home and give you time to find a proper working 4wd transaxle.

unfortunately there are no other cars on this planet that uses the same trans or drivetrain. it was toyota's first attempt at front wheel drive, and they had a rather unique way of dealing with it. the 4wd Terecl trans is unique to the Tercel4wd. find a good replacement, and take good care of it.

Make sure you top up the replacement trans with 4.1 qt of gear lube before you get on the road.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)