Reason for coolant line bursting, not circulating, missing fan?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
JMack
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 Wagon, Manual with Weber carburetor

Reason for coolant line bursting, not circulating, missing fan?

Post by JMack »

We've had a 1985 SR5 Manual Wagon for a few years and have had a little work done on it over the years, mostly by mechanics that don't seem to want to work on this type of vehicle, or don't know what they're doing.

Recently had it overheat and when we checked, the coolant line had burst and the radiator was empty.

I know next to nothing about working on cars, but here's what's been done. Hoping to figure out what needs to be done before selling or keeping it a while longer.

- Recently had the carburetor replaced with a Weber, all emissions vacuum lines removed. I'm in Vermont where there's a loophole for vehicles this age. I'm not at an elevation higher than 900 ft, so I don't think it needs to be adjusted.
- Heater core needs to be replaced.
- Timing belt was replaced and "road trip readiness" inspection was done, which seemed to be a total waste of $. These guys didn't even inform me that the gas I had in the tank was bad.
- Coolant lines allegedly flushed at one shop.
- Thermostat needs to be replaced.
- Radiator cooling fan was hooked up to be constantly running by previous owner because the thermostat wasn't working and needs to be replaced (I've ordered one). One mechanic disconnected it, said it was unnecessary. The fan was definitely visible to me in the past, as the guy we bought it from showed us. Now I can't see the fan at all--is it possible someone would have removed the fan??
- One mechanic said he pressure tested and it needed a new head gasket, which would require a machine shop. After reading on here, that seems like it would have been overpriced and unnecessary. The next 2 mechanics I took it to after that said there was no problem with the head gasket.

Should my first steps be to flush the coolant/clean the radiator and replace the thermostat? And the fan? Will replacing the heater core help as well?

I can add pictures to verify about the fan, which seems crazy that someone would remove it entirely and not even say anything. Maybe I'm just missing it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JMack on Sun May 30, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Re: Reason for coolant line bursting, not circulating, missing fan?

Post by Mark »

The fan is on the other side of the radiator so it is not visible in any of those pictures. Which coolant line burst? Sometimes that just happens to old hoses. I'd just replace the hose, re-fill with coolant and drive it and see what the temperature gauge does. If there really is no fan though, that is a problem and it is definitely necessary.
JMack

Post by JMack »

The top coolant line burst. We replaced it and it is still overheating. We haven’t replaced the thermostat yet. What’s puzzling to me is there was definitely a visible fan at one point, and it’s either no longer visible or is no longer there.
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Post by ALiveSR5 »

JMack wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:17 am What’s puzzling to me is there was definitely a visible fan at one point, and it’s either no longer visible or is no longer there.
There should be a radiator cooling fan in front of the radiator.
~
Cooling_Fan_Front.jpg
~
Cooling_Fan_Back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
JMack

Post by JMack »

I looked and that fan is definitely still there. I thought there was another smaller one that was visible. Maybe its purpose was to cool something else. I cannot see that one anywhere now.
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

JMack wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:14 pm I looked and that fan is definitely still there. I thought there was another smaller one that was visible. Maybe its purpose was to cool something else. I cannot see that one anywhere now.
I kept my 1985 4WD SR5 stock - there were no other fans of any kind in the engine compartment, besides the radiator fan.

Check the radiator cooling fan to make sure that it spins at full speed - the fan motors are prone to seize up over time and will not spin fast enough to cool down the engine.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Post by slimdude85 »

Does it have ac? It could have been the ac condenser fan.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Slimdude is on top of it. Very similar, slightly smaller fan for A/C as well.

Chris

PS -l love the Spurgeon line!
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

NWMO wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:53 am Very similar, slightly smaller fan for A/C as well.
Quite possibly. I do not recall my 1985 SR5 having a fan for the A/C nor was there a fan with the A/C system from another 1985 that I sold to Seth. Maybe I just cannot remember, correctly. :?

It makes sense for the A/C to have a fan, though. Too bad that I cannot go look under the hood. :(
~
JMack

Post by JMack »

the previous owner removed the AC
JMack

Post by JMack »

We replaced the hose, refilled with coolant and it's still overheating. I have a new thermostat for it but have not replaced it yet.
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

JMack wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:09 pm We replaced the hose, refilled with coolant and it's still overheating. I have a new thermostat for it but have not replaced it yet.
After re-reading your first post, there are several possible causes for the overheating - some you mentioned.

The radiator looks "new." So, assuming it is not clogged, both the thermostat and water pump need to be functioning properly to circulate coolant.

A clear heater core could "help" cool the engine, if the heater valve is fully open and the heater fan is turned on high. Otherwise, the heater core does not cool the engine. If the heater core is badly clogged and cannot be flushed clear (like with vinegar), replacing it may be your only option.

The radiator is supposed to have a thermal switch at the bottom that activates the radiator cooling fan, at a specified temperature. A functioning radiator cooling fan is necessary.

If the timing was bumped off, when the timing belt was replaced, it is possible that the engine will overheat. You may have to make sure that the timing teeth are aligned properly. There is a Tercel Service Manual on this forum that tells you how to do that (and many other things).

A bad head gasket is a possibility, especially if the engine had been overheated for too long or too often. A bad head gasket could also be the cause of overheating. A bad head gasket or warped head could both be possible causes - a warped head could be why one mechanic may have suggested a machine shop.

Before you run the engine, again, yes, get the cooling system fully fixed and make sure that the timing teeth under the timing belt are properly aligned. With those working, rechecking compression could help determine the condition of the head gasket or if the head is warped. Overheating can also damage other internal parts but you have to start somewhere.

Let us know what you learn. :)
~
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

JMack,

Can you confirm the cooling fan is running (spinning)? If the radiator sending unit is disconnected, it should run continuously.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
JMack

Post by JMack »

I'm going to start it up today and confirm that the fan is running and will update. I've driven it probably 80-100 miles since the timing belt was replaced.

One other thing we just discovered is that the previous owner also removed the temperature control knob on the AC/heater panel, so there's actually no way to turn the heater on. He only mentioned that the heater core would need to be replaced. Hard to believe I've never noticed this until now, but I've never needed the heater--we lived in San Antonio until April of this year and only cruised around in the Tercel occasionally since buying it. It's never really been in good enough shape to be a daily driver.
JMack

Post by JMack »

Radiator fan is not working!