pulling engine this weekend

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
2wagons
Advanced Member

pulling engine this weekend

Post by 2wagons »

OK I’ve reviewed the previous posts:
• Tell wife it’ll only be a couple of hours
• Wash and clean engine and transmission before starting work
• Assemble parts, clutch, plates, bearings, new rear main seal, A previous post mentioned some “stretch boltsâ€
“How did I get here, this is not my lifeâ€
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: pulling engine this weekend

Post by xirdneh »

[quote="2wagons"]OK I’ve reviewed the previous posts:
• Wash and clean engine and transmission before starting work
• Assemble parts, clutch, plates, bearings, new rear main seal, A previous post mentioned some “stretch boltsâ€
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

The tranny will sag... Not massively, but its obvious that the back mount and the CV joints are stressing. Right now Blue's tranny is supported by a 2x4 crossing the engine bay with some string attached through the mount holes. Working pretty well, but would need support from underneith to be doing engine work.

I never pulled the rad support, I just shimmied the engine up and out.... And on the way out ended up with a broken pressure plate..... lol
If you can get the front crossbracing disassembled, I'd recommend it. It'll take a while longer and be more stuff to keep track of, but you'll likely save yourself in the long run.

Buy 2 cans of PBBlaster. You will hate the smell, but love the help. It'll break a lot of stuff free. It may help to heat with a torch then spray a little Blaster on, until it stays liquid. But for God sakes, don't turn anything red!
Keep flame away from any fuel supplies or any caked grease. It will catch and you will likely lose the car.

You will definitly love yourself for cleaning the engine and trans before-hand. I really wish I had.

I swapped an 86's engine into an 84, so I pulled 2 and put in 1. If you are curious about why the engine won't pop out, first check to see you removed the flex-plate bolts, then ask me/us. lol.

Oh yeah... Remember to torque everything properly. Nothing like putting the car on the lift and finding 1 tranny/engine bolt half-way out, a starter bolt loose, and a flexplate bolt barely on at all.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
2wagons
Advanced Member

Post by 2wagons »

I pulled into the garage and opened the hood and got ready to take the front end off. Well, I forgot about the air conditioning! This car has great AC, i dont want to screw it up. I guess I have to go to a garage and have them evacuate the freon before I disconnect the hoses, or pull the tranny from below. Any suggestions?
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

2wagons wrote:I pulled into the garage and opened the hood and got ready to take the front end off. Well, I forgot about the air conditioning! This car has great AC, i dont want to screw it up. I guess I have to go to a garage and have them evacuate the freon before I disconnect the hoses, or pull the tranny from below. Any suggestions?
I swapped the 3AC in my tercel without disconnecting the A/C hoses before. It was a bit of a pain in the ass, but definitely do-able.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: pulling engine this weekend

Post by takza »

2wagons wrote:OK I’ve reviewed the previous posts:
More like "tell wife you are going on a long journey and you might not be back?"

Take your cell phone. :lol:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

The best tool for the swap is an impact gun.

The cheapones on Fleabay work really well and can take alot of abuse. The torque is not as great as a Dewalt or Millwakee but then you can buy 3 for their price. You can use regular sockets for an impact wrench. They will crack a little easier than the impact sockets, but that is what warranties are for. Just deny any use on an impact gun and say you do a lot of intight work that scratches the sockets.

Take a permanent marker and outline the position of the hinge brackets on the hood. This will ensure an exact fit.

The rad. should be the first to come out and the last to go back.

Taking out the engine is easy compared to putting it back.

Rent an engine puller and leave the engine on the hook as you work on it. You can pick up the whole thing if you put it on the ground but it is rather heavy.

Get a major gasket kit and replace everything.

Don't forget a click torque wrench.

Give your wife a big hug and say you are doing it for her :)
2wagons
Advanced Member

Post by 2wagons »

GTS, did you take the AC compressor off the motor and move it with the AC radiator to the side, out of the way?

Dug, what gasket set? I think the only set would be for the exhaust?
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

2wagons wrote:GTS, did you take the AC compressor off the motor and move it with the AC radiator to the side, out of the way?

Dug, what gasket set? I think the only set would be for the exhaust?
Yes, that is exactly what I did. It worked out quite well.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

Don't skimp. Pay a few bucks more and have the flywheel resurfaced....about $35. You'll be glad you did.
Good luck in your endeavors.
dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

When I swapped my 3ac with a 4ac I thought it would be a good idea to replace the gaskets. There is a minor and major gasket set. I am not sure what is in the minor but the major includes gaskets/seals like a head, valve cover, carb, intake, exhaust, exhaust connector, thermostat, cam ... and more.

The engine was out of the car so it was not too difficult.