Gambler SR5 - Introduction & mystery part

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Gambler SR5 - Introduction & mystery part

Post by Petros »

that is the way it is done, I go over the procedure in my head gasket replacement guide, it is also in the FSM that you can down load from elsewhere on this site. you figured it out on your own anyway.

I suggest you crank the engine with the coil connector (on the distributor) disconnected until the oil pressure light on the dash goes off, that way you have the oil all over the moving parts. than plug the distributor back in and give it a try.

good luck!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
duragauge
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by duragauge »

Thanks, Petros, I'll make sure to do that with the distributor.

I went back and found your head gasket guide. In there you mention that the timing belt tensioner pulley should be adjusted so that the belt deflects about 1/4" at 4.5 lbs.

All I have to check that is a digital luggage scale. I was planning on wrapping it around the timing belt and pulling it 1/4" a few times, averaging the readings and adjusting as necessary. This is how I've got it set up.

Will that be accurate enough or should I invest in a tension gauge?

I also appreciated your comment about how the coolant steam cleans the top of the piston when the head gasket has failed. Knowing that, I think I'll run my endoscope down all the cylinders for a good look.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that looks like a good set up, better than most. no need to invest in spectial tools.

I just press on it with my thumb with "about" 4+ lbs of pressure and eye ball the movment on the belt. I also will push on the tension wheel before I tighten it to add more pressure than just that bed spring. never had an issue with the timing belt tension, I do not think it is that sensitive.
duragauge
Advanced Member

Post by duragauge »

It runs!!

Last week (after having replaced the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, radiator, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, etc.) I had spark but no gas was coming out of the fuel pump.

I figured the fuel pump must be shot, but after replacing it I still wasn't getting any gas through the fuel line to the carb.

A bit more reading/learning and I discovered it helps to prefill the fuel bowl in the carburetor. Mine was completely dry and probably had been that way for months/years.

But with a little gas in there to prime it started right up. I now think there probably wasn't anything wrong with the original fuel pump, so I'll keep it as a spare.

Hope to get some good tires on it this week and see how it does on the streets.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

dura,

Great to hear, let the fun begin!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Good for you! now the fun can begin again, do not be disappointed with what else you find.

I have bought a number of non-running T4wd, no matter the assurances of the seller, I always find a number of other repairs that must be done once I get it on the road. you can not test drive it if it is not running. with a car this old, no telling what else you will find once you can actually drive it.

Good luck!
duragauge
Advanced Member

Post by duragauge »

Last week I picked up a used set of OEM 8-spoke alloy wheels from a 2001-03 Prius. Tires are 185/65R14 Michelin Defenders.

This week my focus is on the carburetor. Turns out my Weber is an Italian made 32/36 DGV 5A with a manual choke, not the electric choked DGEV that many recommend. But whoever put it in didn't bother to run a choke cable, so that's on the to-do list.

It does appear to be getting good fuel pressure so I don't have plans to add a fuel pressure regulator.

So far I've only puttered around the neighborhoods at speeds under 35mph. Before going much faster or further I want to get the carb dialed-in and go through the brakes and suspension. Might even give it a small lift.
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

If you give it the lift, consider dropping the cross member, transmission mount and drive shaft carrier bearing mount. It's not too hard to do this. You will have to make spacers and get longer bolts for the cross member and mounts. It will save you from having to replace CV axles, and they will last longer.
I've done 2 lifts and each time I had to replace front axles. And I recently did the spacers to drop the engine and trans and I also had to replace the axels. They tend to wear in at whatever angle they are running at and don't sound so good when you change it up.
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
duragauge
Advanced Member

Air line location for Monroe MA700 shocks

Post by duragauge »

Thanks, Simon. I have been working on a lift. I've got new CV axles, tie rods, wheel bearings, etc. on the way, so I'll look into dropping those things at the same time.

I just installed Monroe MA700 air shocks in the rear and came up with a different way to run the air line.

A few years ago user C130 posted a picture of the air fill valve mounted on the side of the rear shock access cover.

It wasn't clear exactly where he'd run the air line so I started to look for options. At first I thought of running it next to the wire tubing that runs behind the back seat, but then I noticed an opening in the sheet metal right next to it.

As a test I grabbed some irrigation tubing I had laying around and fished it from one side to the other. Since the Monroe tubing fit inside the irrigation tubing, I just left it there and fed the air hose through it. This is how it turned out.

And this is the view in the wheel well.

Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

nice set up. I think I would get some generic rubber grommets from the auto parts store and drill a larger hole and have the air line go through the grommet to protect it from chaffing on the metal edge. if the air line fits tight in the grommet it would also make a good water tight seal.

that set up looks like as the shock shifts and changes over a bumpy road it may just move the air line enough to erode through where it passes through the metal hole. a thick rubber grommet would allow some air line movement without cutting or eroding away the line.
duragauge
Advanced Member

Post by duragauge »

Quick update. Just finished the lift. Used Moog 81043 springs and KYB 363037 struts up front with Monroe MA700 air shocks in the rear (at 50psi right now).

Before

and after

I decided against dropping the cross member and transmission for now. The Oregon Gambler 500 is only a month away and I wasn't sure I be able to fab up spacers before then.

New CV axels were a breeze, inner & outer tie rods weren't bad, but my word were those wheel bearings a beast! If I had to do it over I'd take the $150 I spent on tools and have a mechanic press the bearings.
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

Looks really good!

If you do end up lowering the engine and trans, don't wait too long. Once your front cv axles wear in, they will not like to run at a different angle. I put 20,000km on a set and then when I dropped the engine/trans they made quite a bit of whining noise on the highway.
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

I notice you are missing the steering column cover plastic (it's 2 parts that screw together). I have a few random spare parts that I'm looking to get out of my garage, including those parts.
20210515_172742.jpg
Let me know if you are interested. I'd send them if you pay shipping.

also, tail light is not in perfect condition, small crack and a little hazy but it's usable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey duragage,

Have a great weekend at the Gambler and let us know how it goes! Diarmait, my wife and I are scoping out camping arrangements and national forest service roads this weekend for the Tercel Midwest Meet & Greet coming up in September (10-11). I can't wait!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
duragauge
Advanced Member

Post by duragauge »

Simon, I sent you a PM.

Thanks, Chris, it should be a lot of fun. I'm running in a caravan with family, we've also got a dirt prepped 1999 Dodge Neon and a stock 1997 Ford Taurus (the only car with AC). Hope to bump into a few other Tercs out on the trails.

I recently added homemade Ivan “Ironman” Stewart stripes (that's gotta add 5hp, right?) and a cargo box (Packasport boxes are built in Bend, Oregon and are nearly indestructible).

The hood is black chalkboard paint and I'm going to have my kids decorate it before setting off next week. I'll certainly post a few photos. Can't wait to hear more about your Midwest meet up. I'm sure you'll enjoy that.