The T4WD community has lost another member

Post here about...well...anything!
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

The T4WD community has lost another member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Hello everyone. I have been a part of this forum since its inception back in 2004. I have met a lot of great people on here, many whom I've never met in person but have remained in contact for many years. A few Washington members had met my father when I traveled up to buy one back in 2010. I am sad to share that my own father passed away suddenly last month and although he was not a member of this forum I have to thank him for introducing me to these cars that would be the center of my obsession for over a decade starting at the age of 8 when he bought a 1983 T4WD SR5. Much like bryanthompsondesign, I fell in love with the quirky nature of the 80's car just like I had been enamored with the 1985 Nissan Sentra hatchback my father owned prior to this car as a child. My father supported me with some of my craziness when we went to WA and NV to buy T4WDs, but he was skeptical sometimes like a rescue I did swapping in a cylinder head in the owner's front yard and despite a distributor shaft breaking (and for whatever reason I had a spare with me), I was able to drive the 400 miles south home and that really surprised him. He had been battling many chronic illnesses over the course of my lifetime and he had survived many critical illness episodes as well so when he suddenly went into cardiac arrest after a routine procedure it was a complete shock that he was gone so quickly and COVID made being there during his final moments not possible, which has taken an emotional toll on me. His passing happened during a transitional time in which I'm in school after becoming unemployed and he wanted to live to attend my graduation, but fate had different plans. I must continue on to fulfill my own dream and in a way his dream because he wanted to study engineering, but never followed through with it for many reasons.

I just thought I would share this on here, and I although it's difficult to ask for help, I was wondering if there might be some people that can share the GoFundMe that I have started to help defray the extremely high cost of burial during this pandemic. https://gofund.me/afbe35b1Thank you all!
dad3tercs.jpg
dadnissan.jpg
IMAG0016.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: The T4WD community has lost another member

Post by NWMO »

My condolences to you and your family in this difficult time. A wonderful father is something many take for granted, it sounds like you certainly had one and loved/appreciated him. I imagine you were a blessing to him, I know my sons are to me (along with their lovely mother). God bless in this challenging time.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Sorry for your loss. Is his T4 still around? Could be a great memorial to remember him by.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I am so sorry to hear this, my sincere condolences. I met both Tercel4wdrules and his father some years ago when they came by our house in Washington on a road trip. As I recall you left to look at another 4wd tercel nearby and came by to say hello. I had also visiting both you in their home in Los Angeles when I was in the area visiting my own parents in Torrance. Frankly I was surprised your father came with you on a trip to recover an old Tercel4wd, most people get more "sensible" about used cars when they get his age. good for him, I am sure you have good memories from those road trips with your dad.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

NWMO wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:24 am My condolences to you and your family in this difficult time. A wonderful father is something many take for granted, it sounds like you certainly had one and loved/appreciated him. I imagine you were a blessing to him, I know my sons are to me (along with their lovely mother). God bless in this challenging time.
Thank you for your kind words. It's hard to deal with loss, but unfortunately it is a part of life. It's important to spend time with one's parents because they're here today and gone tomorrow and you don't want to have to deal with regrets in the future.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

splatterdog wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:46 pm Sorry for your loss. Is his T4 still around? Could be a great memorial to remember him by.
That car is long gone and I don't have any T4's either, but I still have his '01 Corolla. I'm conflicted whether to keep it or not because it's in need of a lot of work to get it up to my standards.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Petros wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 pm I am so sorry to hear this, my sincere condolences. I met both Tercel4wdrules and his father some years ago when they came by our house in Washington on a road trip. As I recall you left to look at another 4wd tercel nearby and came by to say hello. I had also visiting both you in their home in Los Angeles when I was in the area visiting my own parents in Torrance. Frankly I was surprised your father came with you on a trip to recover an old Tercel4wd, most people get more "sensible" about used cars when they get his age. good for him, I am sure you have good memories from those road trips with your dad.
I'm glad he came with me on that trip to WA and got to see the PNW. You're right, as he got older he became "sensible" about spending time and money on these old cars, but he still liked to participate in some of my adventures. Even as I have gotten older I don't really crave as much excitement going on adventures involving precarious situations with cars in various states of disrepair.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

COVID?
K-Business
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

terceldude wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:09 pmCOVID?
cardiac arrest.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)