Replacing airbags

Post here about...well...anything!
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Replacing airbags

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Hello everyone, I'm currently thinking of picking up a project, in this case there are two different cheap Nissan Frontiers in my area that have had the airbags deployed. (coincidence?) Forgetting the actual damage to the truck from impacting an object, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the task of replacing airbags that have gone off? It also seems like the seatbelt has some kind of mechanism that locks if the airbag goes off so that would need replacing too. Thoughts? Not worth the hassle? Both appear to have clean titles.
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Re: Replacing airbags

Post by Jarf »

Theres no direct link between the bags and the belt.
The seat belt pretensioners are triggered by acceleration of the belt.
Must have been good hits in both cases.

Most cars that blow the bags get written off, so I would want to make absolutely sure the titles are clean.
I would also price the bags and seatbelt assemblies and make sure you can actually get parts, prior to pulling the trigger.
Don't forget to plan on new clock springs and deployment sensors as well.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Pretensioners are part of the airbag system, they "blow" too causing the belt to shorten up some before you eat the bag. Control module should also be replaced.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

as I recall, the big car makers lobbied to get a law passed that only a certified airbag tech can replace airbags. because of the danger for us normal rednecks if tried to replace them our selves. the only place that has certified airbag technitions is the dealership. if replacing the 17 airbags in modern cars is too expensive than they would be happy to sell you a new car to replace your totaled car.

Personally I would remove them and the seat belts and install fixed four point racing type seat belts, put in a sporty type aftermarket steering wheel. I supposed you can also get replacement seat belt assemblies from a wrecking yard.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

It ended up being a bit too beat up from the deer strike for my liking; bent a cab mount among other things. Thanks for the replies everyone!