Roof Rack

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
JOE
Advanced Member

Roof Rack

Post by JOE »

Does anyone know if they make roofracks for 4WD wagons anymore.
I've been looking online and can't seem to find anything. Does anyone have a roofrack on their car?
1985 4wd 493000kms. Semi-retired since 1990 Corolla SR5 4wd purchase. 174000kms.
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

I've got the factory one, but I dunno, I'd say it's maybe around 50/50 as far as the amount I've seen that have 'em. You must be able to find one somewhere..
Maybe the dealership will sell you one, but if my 'TOYOTA' sticker for my trunk was going to be around 50, then you can guess what a rack would be..
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

There's always yakima and thule racks. Not OEM, but good racks. Someone else had a post on racks, you might do a search.
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

My folks had a Yakima that grabbed the rain-gutter things on the side. It was very sturdy and handled 3 full size mountain bikes at 70mph with ease... On flat ground lol. It builds up a massive wind resistance.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Lollypop
Top Notch Member

Post by Lollypop »

I'm not sure what rack you want besides the original but they have lots on ebay...the one I want ( but am going to make myself) is the safari rack that runs the whole length of the car, then you can mount lights on the front I may can get ya an OEM from a salvage car here localy but it will be a couple days before I can go by.

Hey DCN send me a close up of the "TOYOTA" sticker ya want, as some jackass paintedx mover mine, and I will get one to ya. I do comercial sign and have the equipment to make ANY decal so give me a hollar and we'll get ya one
1987 Tercel 2WD, 1983 Tercel 4WD
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I made a full top rack using 2"x2"s...screwed from below thru the roof in 6 places. It will hold sheets of plywood or ???...has screw eyes on the outside to tie ropes to....set back from the front some to avoid air drag. Didn't seem to harm mpg any.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Lollypop, I've already got one from a similar company in my area, but thanks a lot for your offer! That's nice volunteering like that.

They did a nice job, I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a new decal.

If you wanna see the job places like Lollypops can do you can see my thread here:

viewtopic.php?t=1218
DA
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

takza wrote:I made a full top rack using 2"x2"s...screwed from below thru the roof in 6 places. It will hold sheets of plywood or ???...has screw eyes on the outside to tie ropes to....set back from the front some to avoid air drag. Didn't seem to harm mpg any.
:shock: Cletus, you got any purdy daughters???? :lol:

I've got the p.o.'s Yakima bars--very sturdy. Last week, I had an 8' oak church pew up there, got some stares, but other than being a little sluggish and maybe tilting a bit more around the corners, everything was cool.

I've also used those "quick clamps" that seem to be so popular with kayakers--I have some attached to some square tubing--equally as sturdy as the Yakima bars.

Either way, be roof rack is removable, bars are adjustable front to back, and can accept all sorts of different loads. I was even thinking of trying to fab up some sort of basket to attach.
Lollypop
Top Notch Member

Post by Lollypop »

No problem DCN..Glad ya got some localy

If any of you other guys need some let me know and I'll cut a bunch for folks outta some scrap I have layin' around

-----Justin-----
1987 Tercel 2WD, 1983 Tercel 4WD