'91 corolla - gas tank hard to fill

Post here about...well...anything!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

'91 corolla - gas tank hard to fill

Post by dlb »

I've had a few inconsistent tanks on the corolla since I got it, and then on a road trip the other day we only got about 3/4 the km we normally get and almost wound up stranded. So today when I refilled it I did a test and found that the top 13 L of the tank are difficult to put in. I have no idea if the car has an aftermarket tank but I'd first like to consider other possible causes of difficult to fill tanks. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to check? I tried unplugging the tank hose from the charcoal canister while filling the car but that didn't make a difference. I wonder if the hose itself could be plugged but I doubt that would be it. There's plenty of room between the gas pump nozzle and the filler neck for the tank to breathe while filling it.

Anyway, throw me some ideas of other things to investigate, you smart folks.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: '91 corolla - gas tank hard to fill

Post by Mattel »

Could it be the fuel guage sensor?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

That's what I thought initially but after managing to wrestle in 13 more liters of petrol after it had first stopped, I feel like there is something going on that is making the tank difficult to fill.

Yesterday while doing some reading on the forum, I saw someone with a similar problem say they had to fill the last 1/3 of their tank slowly to prevent it from automatically shutting off prematurely so I will probably try that next time but I'd still like to figure this out if I can.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

I just checked out the charcoal canister and it seemed fine, I could blow into the inlet and suck out through the outlets, and when I undid the gas cap I was able to blow through the vent line that runs from the tank to the charcoal can. Not sure what to look at next.
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Post by slimdude85 »

You might check the venting hose that goes from the tank to the filler neck. I had that fuel fill problem with my ‘81 and found that the hose was kinked. If the hose is okay, it looks like there’s a fuel cut off valve on the tank that the hose connects to. If you go to partsouq.com and put the vin in, it will bring up the parts catalog. Go to body/interior then about 3/4 the way through that section will be a breakdown of the fuel tank. The part will look something like this:
E077FF20-CDD0-427B-BFD2-5F4B6C729451.jpeg
Although in more rudimentary, smaller, harder to see hand-drawn form.

Good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon