Autoblog.com Super Rusty T4wd find

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Autoblog.com Super Rusty T4wd find

Post by Mattel »

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/12/jun ... ion-wagon/ Still has an amazing interior despite all the bondo and rust.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5

Re: Autoblog.com Super Rusty T4wd find

Post by AugustusFerdinand »

Only 123k on the clock and by the look of everything but the body likely mechanically sound. As an 83 owner I want pretty much everything from the transmission back, but the quote about it being photographed last winter tells me it's all gone.

Not that I'm in the area anyway...
1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 - 7AGE swap in progress
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

I happened to meet Murilee on a Lemons Rally a few weeks back. He was a very nice guy and told me his love for these old cars. He sent me the Clinometer he wrote about in the article listed below.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/diy/a ... linometer/
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

MrWrench wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:17 pm I happened to meet Murilee on a Lemons Rally a few weeks back. He was a very nice guy and told me his love for these old cars. He sent me the Clinometer he wrote about in the article listed below.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/diy/a ... linometer/
I'm a big fan of his work and have read a lot of his stuff since his Jalopnik 'down on the street' days and often post his articles on here as he has owned a few of these cars. he a real interest in underdog cars as well as some of the more strange exotic stuff. I'm glad you met him!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

That's some amatuer level rust. Check this out
20191207_165717.jpg
Heroic measures were put in place. Yeah, a lot of work but this free parts car has been running great for 10 years or so. I might have to cut this back out at some point and save it for later, it's 304 stainless.
20200102_223248.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Maaaaaan. How are the rest of the crucial components on that car, SD? Sway bar ends, where the lateral control rod mounts to the frame, the frame itself, etc -- did you have to do similar work in those areas too? Looks fantastic now though, awesome work.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Bar ends were good when I put urethane in. Visible frame channel pictured was tested with stabs from a sharp screwdriver and always being lifted on a hoist from that spot. Front control arm areas where I've seen the worst rusting are surprisingly rust free as is the rear lateral arm point. The primary reason the ice fishing conversion happened was I needed something to shore up the rear lower trailing arm areas. The fishing holes are structural members with a full length frame rail added to the backside of what's left of the rockers. Car still felt rigid before repairs commenced other than 2 winter ago I had snow kicking my heels. I had powered through at least 3 feet of hard packed snow on a plowed lake road that drifted in since the weekend before. Should have made my own path, like on the way out. Always amazed at the belly dragging capability of these cars!

Thanks for the compliment on my hillbilly engineering dlb.
Erikwi
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 stock auto

Post by Erikwi »

as mine was a minnesota car im amazed how much rust these get.
mine was nothing like that. spotless floors.