Fixing non functioning speedometer

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Toyomonkey
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd Sr5, no mods

Fixing non functioning speedometer

Post by Toyomonkey »

I have no idea how to make a write up, but I did successfully bring my speedometer back to life. It was making a rubbing sound while driving, the sound came from behind the cluster. Eventually the speedo quit. I checked the cable adapter at the transmission, found the adapters cable separated internally. Tried to turn the speedo cable by hand from under the car, couldn't do it. Opened the cluster, tried to turn the speedo by hand with a nail inserted into the cable location on the speedo. Still stuck. So apart comes the speedo, and find the magnetic rotating disc doesn't want to turn anymore and attempts to lube it are futile. Thank you baileysims, for the speedo you sent, the back half of it is in there now along with the cable adapter I got from Redding pick n pull. Trying to post pics but I'm new to this sorry
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Fixing non functioning speedometer

Post by NWMO »

Thanks for the update. It is easiest to post pics direct from the phone, but can easily be done from the computer as well. In Full Editor, click attachments and then select your photos, glad you got it fixed.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Familyguy78
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd Sr5, Fed emission but no cat converter. Manual transmission, with air conditioning.

Post by Familyguy78 »

Sorry it's been so long since I posted, I'm familyguy78 and also formerly known as toyomonkey, long story. I am reporting that while the speedometer does work, I repaired it using a different models speedometer, which resulted in an inaccurate speedometer. I could open the dash again and replace the 1985 sr5 110mph speedometer face with the 85mph speedometer I sourced for parts, which would make it accurate, but I no longer have those parts. Just a note for anyone messing with the speedometer.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks for the update, good to point out.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain