1985 Tercel 4wd Restoration

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
cars-guy
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

Re: 1985 Tercel 4wd Restoration

Post by cars-guy »

Nothing new to report with the tercel other than I replaced the alternator a few months back. Im said I have to make this post but some one keyed the ever living shit out of the car while it was parked at the Americana mall in Glendale, CA. This happened a month ago and because I was right next to the elevator and think this was just some punk ass person vandalizing something out of opportunity. I don't have any enemies what so ever so I can't think this was targeted especially considering the location of the car. (I was literally the first car you saw coming out of the elevator). It for sure happened at the Americana because on the hood where it was keyed, the paint chips and dust were still there. If I would've driven it even more than 10MPH it would've blown off and it certainly did by the time I got home. However, in the last month my girls bug got keyed in our driveway, and yesterday my Fiero that I just had painted (havent even washed it or waxed it yet) got keyed really bad. All the key marks look almost identical to each other across all three cars. The insurance company company body shop says the damage is just under 6k to fix considering 2/3rds of the car has to be painted in order to blend all the panels in. The only panels that don't need paint are the driver side doors. Granted its a Maaco paid job already and they said they could fix it for 500 bucks but I still have to tear down the whole car to get it ready for paint. All total the insurance company says the damage done is close to 15k between all three cars. If anyone knows anything or sees anything on social media please let me know. This is, on paper, 3 cars being totaled in the span of a month. Im not on here too often and Im not sure if I can post my social media here but if anyone knows anything my instagram is @peter_d_rich. We just want to know who is doing this. We don't even care about the Maaco bill we just want to know that we can stop this person and not have to worry about our paint jobs or, possibly, something much worse.
IMG_2041 2.jpg
IMG_2043.jpg
IMG_2045.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

what a shame. I would be tempted to set up a booby trap to teach this jackass a good lesson. one of the many "benefits" of living in a high density city.

OTOH, it sometimes pays to drive a beater with bad body work, urban camouflage.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Was it a neighbour of yours that totalled your last car and drove off? ( I might be thinking of someone else) I would be setting up some dash cams. Have any other cars in streets around you been keyed or is it just yours?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

Petros wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:08 pm what a shame. I would be tempted to set up a booby trap to teach this jackass a good lesson. one of the many "benefits" of living in a high density city.

booby traps are illegal and get your ass sent straight to jail.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

SirFoxx wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:30 am [
booby traps are illegal and get your ass sent straight to jail.
yup, I know that. I only said I would be tempted to, not actually do it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

I love your SR5. Can someone teach me to drive a stick now?
K-Business
DannyMack
My tercel:: 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4X4

Post by DannyMack »

What type of additional masking did you have to do before bringing it into maaco?
cars-guy

Post by cars-guy »

Mattel wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:30 pm Was it a neighbour of yours that totalled your last car and drove off? ( I might be thinking of someone else) I would be setting up some dash cams. Have any other cars in streets around you been keyed or is it just yours?
Yeah that was someone in the neighborhood but when this happened it was a different neighborhood.
cars-guy

Post by cars-guy »

Petros wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:08 pm what a shame. I would be tempted to set up a booby trap to teach this jackass a good lesson. one of the many "benefits" of living in a high density city.

I tried to set a trap with cameras as a I had a feeling it was a jackass spoiled kid down the street but he hasn't done it since.

and yes i now daily a 2003 Hyundai Accent just because I am so paranoid to drive my restored cars
cars-guy

Post by cars-guy »

DannyMack wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:44 pm What type of additional masking did you have to do before bringing it into maaco?
I just masked everything I could on the car myself because my attention to detail on perfecting the lines would be preferred to someone just trying to get the car out the door
Mogordo
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 Wagon

Post by Mogordo »

Cars-guy I see your story started a couple years ago but I read it for the first time today and I just don't have much use for people intentionally wrecking things for no good reason or hitting and running but those things aside I really enjoyed reading it. I appreciate that you put that energy into those cars and that you combined two wrecked ones to get one in good shape. Two is nice but one is better than none. (-:
One who walks in shoes always clean likely walks nowhere at all.