My tercel likes to stop runing

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

My tercel likes to stop runing

Post by T-Bone »

for almost the past week my tercel has been stalling on me a lot. when ever i come up to a stop and have the clutch pressed in with no gas most of the time it will just die. also when i let it warm up in the morning if i let it idle for a bit it dies aswell. i think the problem might be in the carb. i have about 134K on the engine and i know the carb has never been rebuilt before. please help. when ever i come up to a stop i have to give it a little gas to keep it running.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

First thing would be to check the vac hoses...probably have a leak?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

ill check those out. oh, will this work with carbs. i used to do this all the time to FI engines to check for vac leaks. i would get a can of carb and choke cleaner and spray it around the vac lines and if the engine starts to chug then the leak is right around there.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've never tried it...should make it run better.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

on F/I cars it makes the idle drop. if you spray a lot of carb and choke cleaner in your carb it will start to bog down and can even stall. i checked for any vac leaks and i could not find any. its really weird, when i push in the clutch and let the rpm drop most of the time it will just die. i think it might need a good rebuild or something like that.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

A simple "fix" is to increase the idle speed so it doesn't stall...not really a fix..a bandaid.

T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Post by T-Bone »

i adjusted the idle up a bit but it still stalls out.