1983 Tercel 4WD SR5 Wagon | Overland Build

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 1983 Tercel 4WD SR5 Wagon | Overland Build

Post by Petros »

front suspension and cross member spacers can be made from aluminum plat stock easy enough. someone used HDPE to space down the top of the strut, used a cheap cutting board from walmart.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
hopped
My tercel:: 1987 4WD

Post by hopped »

lol jk my strut tower was bent
señor.tercel4wd
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by señor.tercel4wd »

Petros wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:59 am front suspension and cross member spacers can be made from aluminum plat stock easy enough. someone used HDPE to space down the top of the strut, used a cheap cutting board from walmart.
A member from the forum sold me a set of Jim's strut spacers so I'm actually in the process of sourcing the materials to get started on this project.
hopped wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:17 pm lol jk my strut tower was bent
Glad you sorted that out lol
'83 Tercel SR5 Wagon Overland Build Thread >>> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14880
señor.tercel4wd
Advanced Member

🔻 Safety First 👷🏻‍♂️ 🚧

Finally got around to finishing up V.1 of my Tercel Battery Clamp Down Bracket after settling on a car battery (Group 34)

Originally I wanted to keep it OEM but every single bracket I found at the scrapyard was rusted to hell and to my knowledge Toyota doesn't carry them anymore. Then I looked on Amazon and there was plenty of universal options but none of them worked with that bracket near the fender. So I got to work and fabbed one up.

Very happy with the results. Time will tell how long it's going to hold up. Definitely beats the one I was going to use (last picture) 😂

IMG_2880.jpg
IMG_2902.jpg
IMG_2918.jpg
IMG_2925.jpg
IMG_2932.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Post by ALiveSR5 »

señor.tercel4wd wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:26 pm Finally got around to finishing up V.1 of my Tercel Battery Clamp Down Bracket after settling on a car battery (Group 34)

Originally I wanted to keep it OEM but every single bracket I found at the scrapyard was rusted to hell and to my knowledge Toyota doesn't carry them anymore.
Here is a battery box from a 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon. I believe it is posted on this forum, in the used parts section. Looks like, it too, is rusted under the plastic coating but not as bad as some.

Your fabbed bracket looks really nice and functional. Sometimes doing things yourself is better. :D
~
Battery_Box.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
señor.tercel4wd
Advanced Member

ALiveSR5 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:35 pm
señor.tercel4wd wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:26 pm Finally got around to finishing up V.1 of my Tercel Battery Clamp Down Bracket after settling on a car battery (Group 34)

Originally I wanted to keep it OEM but every single bracket I found at the scrapyard was rusted to hell and to my knowledge Toyota doesn't carry them anymore.
Here is a battery box from a 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon. I believe it is posted on this forum, in the used parts section. Looks like, it too, is rusted under the plastic coating but not as bad as some.

Your fabbed bracket looks really nice and functional. Sometimes doing things yourself is better. :D
~
Battery_Box.jpg
I almost just used rust reformer on the old one haha
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is a nice job on the bracket. I managed to make one of the universal ones work, on the fender side I used a short piece of anodized aluminum tube i had in the scrap bin, with a long bolt through it. and than made a short straight flat connector to reach the fender mount, also out of aluminum bar stock. I used cadmium plated bolts. looks kind of techy.

while many like to try to get it restored to the original factory condition, and there is much to be said for that. I am of the opinion that much of the original equipment was not very good. this car was based on their entry level car, so economy was the name of the game. the front brakes are way too small, the engine is under powered and a few other items can really use some help. I want to make it better than stock.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Totally_Tercel
My tercel:: 84 manual trans wagon

Post by Totally_Tercel »

Looks great man, and thanks for all the useful information! What'd you have to do to get the vintage CA plate registered? I've been trying to get vintage plates on my '84 4runner and the DMV tells me I can't...
eightyfive4WD
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel 4WD 5 speed wagon

Post by eightyfive4WD »

Any updates to offer on the project? Sad to see it looks like things have taken a bit of a pause after lots of and lots of work. The Tercel looks great, and I quite enjoy the back-from-the-dead aspect of buying it from an Auction and breathing life back into it. Kudos!
1985 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD 5 spd wagon (manual swapped, daily driver)
2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD access cab long bed (road trip/adventure-mobile)
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Yes, please keep this project ongoing.

I have saved original battery clamps by brushing them first, then bathing them in phosporus acid and finally by painting them afterwards. This will make the rust "passive". This works also for other minor rusty parts.