New diagnositc tool for OBD equiped cars

Look around here for some great advice on getting the most out of your tools! Tips and tricks!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

New diagnositc tool for OBD equiped cars

Post by Petros »

there is a new smart phone based OBD II diagnostic tool that is cheap, and powerful for use on OBD equipped cars.

Although not useful on our Tercels, many of us work on and own newer cars as well.

I ordered one and can not wait to try it out on our civic and Lexus. I always wanted one of these but they were too costly, not this one however! it is offered at a prepurchase discount on the kickstarter web site here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/er ... ref=1zemwt

Here is a youtube video on how it works evaluated by an outside automechnic with a you tube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFF9eQwb9Jk&t=137s
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: New diagnositc tool for OBD equiped cars

Post by Mattel »

Hey, has it been made commercially yet as Kickstarter is mostly used to finance a project? This does sound like a great idea however it is recommended by Tercel hater Scotty Kilmer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ZVsibXNrk in the video on your linked page.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I am not sure I would call him a Tercel hater, like most mechanics he does not like working on old cars (and you have to admit, the Tercel is rather underpowered compared to Toyota's other cars). he is a big Toyota fan, both his and his wife's personal cars are Toyota.

No matter his opinion of the Tercel, this tool does not apply to it.

The tool has been out in Beta testing for some time now, they are actually going to be shipping production units this month. They have far succeeded in their money raising goal to get it into production. They will not spend the money on those who pre-purchased the tool until they are shipped.

Kickstarter is a very common way these days to get a cottage industry or specialty product going. Some are a waste of money, some are actually quite ingenious inventions.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

That's great. hope it gets put in production. Would be a very handy tool.
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

BTW, I went and watched the linked youtube video of Scotty Kilmer bashing the Tercel. I actually agree with him: the head gaskets are not particularly reliable compared to other toyota engines, the carburetor is complex and can be troublesome to diagnose (though it is remarkably reliable), the stem seals are not particularly durable. he left off that the brakes are too flimsy, and it is under powered. Consider as a mechanic he will see all kinds of cars that need all kinds of repairs, those he mentioned are something he likely will be seeing often in his repair shop.

the head gasket is particularly annoying, usually a single over heating event will damage it (that I imagine is a common problem in Texas where he is located). That is not true with other toyota engines.

though we love our Tercel4wds, it would be a much better car if it had:
1. a better, more powerful and more reliable engine
2. if it was fuel injected (no carburetor)
3. It had better brakes.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

I think you could say the same thing of almost any economy car made in 1983 though to 1988 and a lot of that was fixed with the all-trac corolla in 1988 which also was advanced for an economy car of its time. Not many cars are around these days. How about the GM or AMC cars from that time? How many Subaru's do you see from the 80's? The classic in complexity as you know is the Honda Civic emissions systems of that time.
I've never had an issue with my head gaskets but I haven't messed with my timing. Not many cars had fuel injection and many that did had troublesome mechanical rather than efi I don't disagree with what you say and yeah cars have improved a lot but the way he presents it as a 'one of the worst cars ever made' etc in such an emotive way to get more click bait is wrong. Its far from a terrible car as we know.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Mattel wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:42 am ... but the way he presents it as a 'one of the worst cars ever made' etc in such an emotive way to get more click bait is wrong. ...
I agree with everything you wrote there of course. I think his bias is based on his experience as a mechanic who runs a repair shop. perhaps he did not stop to realize that the Tercel is one of ONLY '80's economy cars he ever sees, they have lasted longer than the rest. So in his mind, every time he sees one, which is more often likely than most other cars from the period, it seems to have the same problems (due to age). As these economy cars age, there get cared for less than optimum as well. I mean not likely if you owned a 1984 Porsche or Alfa you would treat it the same as a $500 30 year old economy car.

the earliest Toyotas imported were not exactly the best cars they ever made (most are gone in fact), Honda and Nissan out sold toyota by a long shot. Honda, Nissan and Mazda were trying to sell quality and performance. the early toyota was sold as a boring economy car on the cheap. they were not very good, and they did not have a good reputation. I think when Mazda, honda and Nissan was outselling toyotas year after year, all the others had factory racing programs. And it seemed the quality of the whole line benefited from that racing heritage. Toyota finally got on board with the TRD program in the about 1982-4. Both their reputation and the quality of cars improved by than as well.

Nissan ended their racing program in about 1989, than their quality and sales fell, and it has been resold several times. It such a shame, Nissan used to be the top of the market, now they are owned by a Chinese conglomerate. And their quality shows, following that, their sales have also sunk.

AS little as racing has to do with production cars, I have noticed that car companies with a racing program, seem to always sell better, have a better reputation, and enjoy a certain technical advantage over car companies that do not.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Might be an OK tool. Don't really like it being tied to one car though. I will still be spending 1100 a year just to keep my Snap On scanner current..

Most shops don't care to touch old "junk". Shop rates/beater car needs/car owners wallet/mechanic pay plans all work against it coming in the door.