composite headlight needed

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
nyterc1

composite headlight needed

Post by nyterc1 »

Hi, I have posted on this before and thought I would try again. I need the composite headlight, passenger side of an 87. The dealer does have it...$150! Thanks
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I don't know if it is much consolation, but the Pacific Northwest Toyota dealer consortium, http://www.autopartspeople.com , has it for $105 + 10% postage.
Check out this link: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... atalogid=1

You've probably already checked this, but I think I read somewhere that the '88 onwards Corollas had the lamp assembly you are seeking - at least some of the many Corolla manifestations, anyway. Let us know if you've checked this in salvage yards already - it will help others.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
nyterc1

Post by nyterc1 »

I did not know about the corollas, thank you. I have checked all my local salvage yards( Im 60 miles north of manhattan) and they all gave me the answer that they dont keep anything this old. Elitists!
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

I've been trying to find the exact same headlight assembly for my 88 for a year and a half--none of the salvage yards in Colorado seem to keep them--and it's a different light than the Tercel sedans of that year.
Thanks for the link to the NW--I was hoping to pay more like $60 instead of twice that much, but I guess not.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I want my hands on a German set of H4's and their grille to go with it.... And that front bumper.... lol
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

I searched far and wide for the headlight I wanted, and found used ones in yards all over the USA at the same price (or more!) at the new one from http://www.autopartspeople.com--so I ordered a new one last week, will let you all know how their service stacks up.
If I had the time, I would have tried switching out the old-style sealed beam assemblies, signals, and grill from my grounded 86. May still do that next summer if the new light still doesnt work out.
The toughest thing about trying to find a composite headlight, in talking to salvage yards,is that most of the salvage guys never even heard of a composite light for the 87-88 wagon, and some (Blake's, in Erie CO) denied they even exist! I offered to drive out to Blake's and show them the car firsthand.
At $114, this is a ridiculous price for a headlight...
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

Some wrecking yards are completely clueless as to our little monsters!!

The local one to me argued up and down that they used a specific wheel that only fit these cars.

I made him eat crow when I pulled in two days later with a set of four bolt Mustang 14" wheels with the new snow tires on mine.

Told him next time I wanted something and was sure about it to believe me or I'd take my business (and many others') elsewhere.
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member

Post by hberdan »

I received my right composite headlight from http://www.autopartspeople.com. The service was very good, and the part is, of course, a Toyota OEM part.
I ordered only the headlight itself, not the headlight and frame. It was about $118 with shipping.
Shipping was fast, even though they said it was a special-order part, and I received it in about 10 days after ordering.
It installed easily enough, although I broke the plastic bearing that holds the upper adjusting screw to the light, and had to improvise a bit. The headlight didn't come with the bearings or the adjusting screws, and I re-used the originals. Guess the age of the plastic bearing did it in, it broke easily.
So, I had to go to the local dealer and have them order a new bearing, of course a special order part...it was $1.64.
The difference in brightness is truly amazing! The old headlight was probably about 35% of it's original self. The left light is still original and is about 85% bright.
Now I'm driving!