EL in 2WD?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Finder349
Advanced Member

EL in 2WD?

Post by Finder349 »

Is it possible to remove the lockout that prevents us form putting the trans in EL while in 2WD? When I am loaded and on the hills this would be a great thing. I have gone over the downloadable manual and not seen anything listed as an EL lockout or the like. I have read all the posts that I can find that look even close.

I know I can just slip it into 4WD but I am often on dry pavement. I am just looking for a why to save the clutch from an early death.

Thanks,

Calvin
86 SR5 238k miles, 6sp. GONE :(
85 SR5 232k miles, 6sp. GONE :(
87 Toyota LE 4wd Van 184k :)
87 Toyota 4wd Van 236k :)
Yes I run with scissors.
Lollypop
Top Notch Member

Post by Lollypop »

Ya know, I wondered the same thing. Some of the places I go the 4WD is not really needed but the EL would be great. Maybe someone in here knows whether it can be disabled

I'd like to know what the purpose of "4WD only" is. Damn these cars carry alotta questions.

-----Justin-----
1987 Tercel 2WD, 1983 Tercel 4WD
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

One thing I know is that if you have the OEM 80 series tires on this car...you have no real traction in FWD in lower gears unloaded. When I put the 60 series Kumhos on 14" wheels there was a big difference.

That EL lockout is internal to the trans...located at the back as part of the 4WD extension?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

I'm sure it can be done. I've never accessed the FWD-4WD selector, but I'm pretty sure all you need to do is drill out whatever part of the sliding plate is restricting choosing EL when in FWD. I know folks in the Land Cruiser community do it all the time with their trucks' Xfer case levers so that they can get 2wd lo for those special situations on the trail.

Takza, nice avatar--I used to be a big Don Martin fan, back when I read Mad Magazine.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If you Google Don Martin...there is a site with some scanned comics of his. I can remember seeing the one I use...I got off on those goofy attitudes/postures he used.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...