3A valve question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
lokahi

3A valve question

Post by lokahi »

i recently changed the cam oil seal and when i was adjusting the valves i noticed that the 3rd valve from the front (intake??) did not move when i manually cranked the motor. i also could not adjust the valve gap as the valve appeared to be all the way up. with the adjusting pin in the rocker arm completley removed you could not get a feeler gauge between the arm and valve.

obviously this aint right.

does anyone know what this indicates? ie stuck, broken valve or spring and keepers or cam lobes. How can it be fixed?

any help would be greatly appreciated. i miss my wagon 33 mpg since i live in the state with the highest gas prices. today average $ 2.72/gal reg.

1987 tercel wagon 4dr 2wd / ac
1452cc 1.4l sohc 2bbl 3A
5 sp manual trans

Aloha
lokahi
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

i miss my wagon 33 mpg since i live in the state with the highest gas prices. today average $ 2.72/gal reg.
Wow, I'd miss it too! Here, near Vancouver, Canada, reg gas is hovering around 90 cents/litre = $3.40/us gal. I've only been averaging around 10km/l lately (prior to recent changeout of my bad vac advance) = only 23.5 mpg (converted to us gal), however this is in mainly city driving, short trips, etc. Waiting to finish the first full tank since the vac adv rplcmt to see what improvement I get in mpg.

Would love to have both your gas price and mpg!
2manytoys4menow
Advanced Member

Post by 2manytoys4menow »

I would guess you have a bent or stuck valve . I have seen old yamaha and kawasaki motorcycles that have soft valves (fj110/1200 & 600/900 ninjas) mushroom thier valves so far into the seat they can no longer be adjusted and all the valves have to be replaced BUT I have yet to see a toyota valve do this :lol: . If you remove the rocker arm and tap on the top of the valve stem and spring does the valve move ?? If not it's bent or stuck . if that is the case your cylninder head will have to come of and that valve will need to be replace . Have The head rebuilt at that time and do a new timing belt and you should start enjoying that great gas milege . good luck .
CHEVY BUTCHER