New clutch - pull engine or transmission?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue mint 4WD wagon and 'Rocky' 86 4WD Wagon

Re: New clutch - pull engine or transmission?

Post by marlinh » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:05 am

Did you get the flywheel machined? If the pressure plate was fried, the pressure plate probably had hot spots in it too.

spencercat
My tercel:: '84 SR5

Post by spencercat » Sun May 06, 2018 10:55 am

@marlinh - sorry for the late reply, but I've been working on my other rides. I didn't get the flywheel machined, it didn't look fried/warped/beat up. Scrubbed it with a scrubber pad, cleaned it with brake clean then acetone, and it looked fine.

spencercat

Post by spencercat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Following up re the transmission fluid and whining. Gearshifts began to be a bit harder, and the whining was increasing. Today I checked the fluid level, found it flowing out of the full hole. But when I drained it, I only had 3.2 quarts in the tranny. :shock:

After taking an hour and a half to fill it up (with some lucas oil for good luck) to 4.1 quarts 80W90 it seems happier.

Lesson learned - don't trust the fact that gear oil runs out of the fill hole if there are other indicators that the level may be low.

xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:26 pm

I have found that a rest is needed while filling tranny.
I pump till oil overflows then wait about 20 minutes and pump again till it overflows. It takes about 5 cycles to get it full.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.

Abra-Cadaver
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: free ground-score: 1986 Tercel SR5

Post by Abra-Cadaver » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:39 pm

spencercat wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:27 pm
New clutch remains grabby, I mean it jolts a bit when I lift off the pedal, not very smooth. Checked the tranny oil and it was overflowing when I opened the fill plug on the driver's side, since it's fresh I suppose I'm good.

I'm working on getting the timing down right, just set it all the way one direction (10 deg BTDC), and the car isn't terribly happy. Also need to identify a squeal that occurs when I start up (which goes away after a minute). Sounds like a belt but I've got the P/S belt off. Alt seems to rotate fine. Got a leak from behind the timing belt cover too, one of the new seals I put in is leaking (maybe related?).
you don't want any oil on timing belt, that's what happened to me recently. Cam seal leak combined with crank seal leak behind cover and 5 tight valves = belt shredded/skipped some teeth and would still run decent but hiccup now and then, and a couple hard starts sometimes. Seemed like a regular 220,000 mile small engine to me :roll: eventually the belt was too slippery combined with the tension on the camshaft, and the crank pully kept spinning while the belt stood still under tension. Adjusting valves is quick and easy, but those seals are quite a pain to get into. You will never get the timing right without inspecting/replacing that belt if it skipped a tooth. You're on a road to "stranded" with an oil leak behind the timing cover. Believe me, I just went through that nightmare!

spencercat

Post by spencercat » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:23 pm

I have found that a rest is needed while filling tranny.
It did take about 2 hours to fill, with a quart-size graduated funnel and a long tube to the front most fill hole. I ended up getting frustrated that the last 1/4 quart wouldn't stay in, so I dropped the rear of the car off the jackstands and put the rest in. ;)

@abracadaver - I hear you about an oily belt and the PITA to get at it. It's on my list, believe me! Parts are here, it just needs to wait its turn.