Hey! What does this button do?

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

Well, thank goodness somebody made this site. I'd been looking around for ages, and couldn't believe that nobody else loved their Tercel as much as I loved mine. Finally, this site showed up in somebody's blog, and I followed the link, scarcely believing my eyes. Ah, the promised land at last!

So, uh, let me introduce myself. I'm a college student in Oregon, and I sell computers on the side. But that's not what you're interested in, is it?

Meet my tough little lady:

These pictures were taken a year ago. Since then, the car was stolen, hot-rodded up a BLM road, then dumped over the edge of a 60-foot embankment. Two weeks and $200 in towing fees later, it looked more like this:

:( (hastily-photoshopped image. Not real picture).

Of course, being the Tercel we all know and love, I popped in a new battery, and it started in one crank. I drove it home, and immediately bought The Club for it. They did bang a few items out of alignment though, so I imagine there will be some threads on the forums over the next few weeks seeking help for what they broke.

In short, it's great to find a group that loves this car as much as I do, and I hope for many fruitful discussions in the future.

One final question: What's up with these carbon-fiber wheels? Were they a factory option on this model (as the Toyota logo would indicate), or something off another car?
Inkyturbo
Top Notch Member

Post by Inkyturbo »

I have the same wheels you have. I'm hoping to find some of these wheels(http://www.geocities.com/apple2guru/85sr5manual.jpg) for cheap, as I don't like the style of my current ones. By the way, welcome to the site!
Josh G.

Joy is passing a brand new car at 80 in the fastlane, with your 22 year old Japanese economy car.

1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon (4WD, SR5)
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

Thanks. My question would be: Why trade down to stock wheels? Are they lighter or something?
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

Hi, and welcome!

I'm also a college student in Oregon, but I go to OSU ;)

Great looking car! yeah I love mine too.

I think your wheels were original on some of them, I'm not sure though. A lot of people like the white wheels too.
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

Awesome! We need to get a West Coast Tercel Meet of some kind going.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Carbon fiber hubcaps??????? :blink: :blink: :blink:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

jetswim
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by jetswim »

Welcome to the site! I luv the GTA logo LOL!
I think you mean the Aluminum wheels don't you? They are not carbon steel.
There's one at my junkyard with wheels like that.
Current rides: 1987 SR5 4WD wagon, 1989 xtra cab pickup 22RE 5spd 4X4
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Nice ride ctishman. I've got the same type as your wheels for my winter tires, I don't think they look too bad.

My car was stolen once too, but we were lucky enough to get it back, thankfully.

Glad you found this place, I know I was happy to find it too, welcome here!
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

Oh, okay. Aluminum, eh? :)

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!
Inkyturbo
Top Notch Member

Post by Inkyturbo »

Yeah those wheels were optional as OEM, but I think they are as ugly as sin. So as soon as I can I'm getting those wheels.
Josh G.

Joy is passing a brand new car at 80 in the fastlane, with your 22 year old Japanese economy car.

1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon (4WD, SR5)
jetswim
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by jetswim »

Yeah I like them too! With them on the car it looks more like a vehicle from the original Star Wars.
Current rides: 1987 SR5 4WD wagon, 1989 xtra cab pickup 22RE 5spd 4X4
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I took my 15's over a set of the OEM Alloys, though the alloys are considerably lighter than the stock steels.

Hey, I see a Kicker in there.... I have a pair of 10's. Kicker CompVR competition level 350 watts. The magnets on the back are massive. I just need an amp and hope to get one next paycheck.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

pretty :)

i always loved the darker interiors - i hated my brownish/tannish interior lol ^_^ if I still had mine i'd so change it to black

gl on all your upgrades :P
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

Thanks!

Hey, if I were to get an inclinometer console off an old tercel, does the '85 model still have any hookups to connect the 4WD indicator?
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

ctishman wrote:Thanks!

Hey, if I were to get an inclinometer console off an old tercel, does the '85 model still have any hookups to connect the 4WD indicator?
No, but it's really not that tough to connect in. I did a write up which explained how to mount the thing well, and how to wire it in. If you sift through the repair section, you should be able to find it. If not, I'll find it for you.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS