Hello From Calahoo!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 5.5 Tercels total... Not enough

Re: Hello From Calahoo!

Post by Rednecklawrence »

Lol. I much preferred installing it in the Tercel, all it was was like 8 screws and 1 piece of plastic and boom, new radio's in. Not so much in this one, where you have to fight with an undetachable climate control unit, 4 pieces of plastic, removing the shift knob... Dumb. Wiring through the Tercel firewall and floor is easier too, cause everything is open and accessible
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

That's why I love these Tercel wagons- simple!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

It's too bad shoulder belts for the back were near impossible to get or I'd probably still have at least one!

So did you manage to keep the rest of the fleet? Any plans?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

I've still got all Tercels right now. What I would like to do is build a 12x12 shed, then strip both the crashed one and the rotten one. And when I say strip, I mean everything. Body panels, doors, engine, drivetrain, EVERYTHING. That way I've got a ton of parts for any other Tercels in the future that aren't rusted out.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

Looking through the website of the company I work for and found a candid shot of my terc in action! Had to haul some lumber in it for that job and it managed to sneak its way into the shot
20160717-untitled-6_orig.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Rednecklawrence wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:51 pm Part 4
Okay, so this part is my current dilemma. About 2-3 weeks ago I was on the hunt for another wagon to replace my fallen comrade. I found a gold one on kijiji, asking $1500, and dickered him down to $1050. I knew the thing would need a valve cover gasket, cv boots, brakes, tires, struts and was fairly rusted on the back of the rocker panels, but though it wasn't too bad, although I didn't look overly well, and I'm no mechanic. It drove home from Red Deer to Calahoo (~250km), and I could tell it would need brakes ASAP. I took it into my local mechanic shop, and got some VERY bad news... Basically the car is rotten. The mechanic that inspected it says basically everywhere in front of the back tires is rusted out, with a small chunk of intact frame holding her all together. Basically, she will never be road worthy again. That was determined along with a myriad of other issues I was not informed of.

Here's some pics:
IMG_0641.JPG
IMG_0642.JPG
IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG
WP_20170711_21_09_51_Pro~1.jpg

So I kinda lost a bunch of cash, and since I'm 18 and living at home, my dad wants me to scrap both my wagons to recover what I can and look for something else. I REALLY don't want to do that, and don't think I will. My mechanic says the engine is in real good shape, minus the leaks, but other than that it should run forever. So that's where I am right now. I've got no clue what do with my cars or parts, but ideally id like to hold onto them until I can get another wagon. I can't spend anymore money on another one, my parents will kill me, and they're pressuring me to get rid of them. I'll keep posted on the situation, and hopefully all goes well.

On another note, if anyone had a frame and body wagon in real good shape for a good price, id be willing to buy for the right price. I don't care if its missing an engine, tranny, rear axle, anything really. I've got the parts to fix it, and its killing me not having a wagon, knowing they'll only get harder to find.
I disagree strongly with your mechanic. He's just too lazy to repair the thing!
K-Business
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

So it's been a while since I've been really active, but I though I'd drop an update. As of early January my old crashed green terc is no more. It got hauled away for scrap, but not before any usable parts could be stripped from it. I have the surviving doors and passenger fender, tranny, and other odds and ends that could be saved.
WP_20180919_20_05_03_Pro~1.jpg
WP_20180920_16_44_44_Pro~1.jpg
WP_20190109_17_38_59_Pro~1.jpg
As for my other two wagons, the gold one will meet the same fate if it isn't removed from the property by the end of summer, which I plan on doing, and the bush wagon has been getting some TLC. If you can call it that...
IMG_20190601_162327_0~1.jpg
IMG_20190601_162331_4~1.jpg
IMG_20190602_184524_7~1.jpg
It rides a little smoother now, but dust keeps getting in somehow...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

Yo man! I just read this whole thread. Awesome rigs...great stories...I'm glad you swerved! That bush wagon is friggin rad! Nice work.
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

Well it's been a while since I've made any posts here, but there has been a decent amount that's happened in the last few years...

May 2020:

Fellow forum member LeeBiew found himself in a situation needing to let go of both of his wagons, rather quickly at the time, and I was lucky enough and able to take on the the pair and keep them going to places less fortunate. I rounded up the boys and we went and scooped up the pair all in one day!
Snapchat-338567487.jpg
We strapped the grey one down like idiots and one of the straps broke going up a hill, near the top we stopped and it was ready to roll off. We all jumped out and grabbed/pushed it back on before it took off and had just enough straps to get it home... Chains and boomers are a waaay better option.

They were taken to my Grandpa's farm, where I had already moved my golden mistake wagon to, because there was no way I was going to be allowed to keep them at home.
IMG_20200503_144057_8.jpg
IMG_20200503_144157_5.jpg
Summer 2021:

The bunch sat there for a while, until I think it was around April 2021 when I bought my own little piece of property. An acre and a half with an old house and garage, and plenty of space for whatever I want now. Let the hoarding begin! The gold and yellow wagons got their tires aired up and made the short trip from my Grandpa's to my new place under their own power at some point during that summer. The silver one is in rougher shape so me and a friend trailered it, and we had nothing better to do that night so we really broke that garage in with an engine+transmission pull.
IMG_20210807_140558_983.jpg
A little later in the year me and my dad finally went and picked up an 85 Corolla I bought years before off of a friend's uncle for $50. It's a pretty crusty turd but it had a running 4A engine that ran like a top after a 10 year sleep, so that got yanked too. Thought I had pictures of that little project but I guess not. But I have a 4A now so that's cool.
IMG_20211002_103050_437.jpg
IMG_20211002_171648_937.jpg
2021 is also when I decided I needed an acreage truck, so I got a 1990 k1500
Snapchat-2076288284.jpg
And because of my impeccable vehicle purchasing instinct, that needs an engine too, so parts truck.
IMG_20210915_182753_154.jpg
September 2022:

No Tercel action here, but the parts truck engine got pulled at this time.

January 2023:

Things have been pretty dormant in the Tercel department up until now. But my brother decided to send me an ad for a wagon in need of a new home in Red Deer, a 2 hour drive away, so me and the boys went and got it of course. This one's a pretty crusty, low trim level 2WD auto so not the best, but I also now have disposable income so it's mine now.
IMG_20230121_184009.jpg
I've been doing a lot of collecting and dismantling, but I'm hoping to actually start assembling and making things work this year. I'd like to get the new engine into the truck so that's a little more reliable mainly. I don't think it could pull a trailer in it's current state, it gets about 2L/100k... In oil 😬

The plans for the wagons right now are to restore the silver one. It was originally a 4wd auto with power steering, which I want to convert to 4wd manual with no power steering, so I'm sure that won't make anything easy. I'm torn as to whether or not I want a really in depth restoration, or if I should make it a daily driver type, something I can actually enjoy while I find another full restoration worthy candidate.

This brings my vehicle total to:
4.5 Tercels
1 Corolla carcass
2 Chevy k1500s
1 Subaru Outback

At what point is it a problem and not a hobby I wonder...
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Great pics and story. How bad is the brown Tercel? I wouldn’t do too nice of a restore on something where I was switching from AT to MT. I’m working on my second one, so I have something to drive when the Rusty Frog needs attention. Have fun! They’re good to work on, but more fun to drive!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Nice update. I figured you lived in the prairies, judging by all the rust. I'm amazed that you even managed to find surviving al25's out there! Out here on the west coast they are pretty rare now, and must be even more so in your neck of the woods. So I agree it's a good idea to grab what you can, when you can and store it, if possible.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

NWMO wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:29 am Great pics and story. How bad is the brown Tercel?
Unfortunately all of the wagons except for the silver one are pretty far gone in terms of rust. The silver one is really the only one worth putting effort into, and even if I just wanted to drive one of the other ones for fun they would be quite a bit of work.
dlb wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:12 pm I'm amazed that you even managed to find surviving al25's out there! Out here on the west coast they are pretty rare now, and must be even more so in your neck of the woods. So I agree it's a good idea to grab what you can, when you can and store it, if possible.
Well the state most of them are in barely counts as surviving haha, but at least they're not crushed. They're still pretty hard to find even in parts car condition and they don't come up often at all. There was one for sale in Edmonton a while back, a white 4wd auto with about 130kms on it in really good shape, but they wanted just about 11k! If it was under 3k I probably would have went for it, but that was just too crazy. My friends neighbor has a 4wd manual that they pulled out of some bush and got on the road for their kids, but the kids hate it and won't drive it so it's been sitting for probably a year now. Was thinking maybe a case of beer and a couple bucks might get it into my possession and I could have one to drive around this summer and keep the Outback as the winter wagon.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Great collection of cars and I am sure that you will get at least one or two roadworthy ones by combining best parts of each cars.

And I noted that your "half" Tercel does have a sunroof. Please don't throw those sunroof parts away since they are getting hard to find.
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member

Nordical25 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:29 pm And I noted that your "half" Tercel does have a sunroof. Please don't throw those sunroof parts away since they are getting hard to find.
Definitely not going to, I've been wondering how hard it would be to transplant to another vehicle because that sunroof is fully functional. I'm taking an auto body course next month, maybe I'll learn something useful?
Last edited by Rednecklawrence on Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Id say that it is possible to transplant a sunroof to another car but you may want to have first a wiring diagram of sunroof. I just don't know for sure whether a transplant of whole roof section or just sunroof assembly is the easier way to go. In roof section everything is cut up and aligned perfectly so that could be the easier alternative.