Front Exhaust Pipe Bracket

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

The front exhaust pipe bracket - the rigid kinda triangular piece which bolts to the transmission and has a flange to surround the pipe - was broken at the bolts. I fabricated a "reinforcing plate" to supplement the original, but am wondering if I should use it as is, or use it with a piece of metal strapping around the pipe to give a kind of flexible mount until I get new motor/transmission mounts? I would hate to have the pipe itself crack, especially as I just installed a new converter and have had my fill of exhaust work for a while.
The engine does not move around "a lot", but I figured it must have moved enough to crack the bracket - unless the bracket just always fails on our cars.
Anyone encounter this before - and your fix ?
Thanks -
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

if its not secured there, all the stress will be put onto your exhaust manifold.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Mac -
Thanks, and it does make sense.
I suppose this must have been a problem with this engine, whence the band-aids of the manifold's front bracket to the block and the pipe's rear bracket to the transmission.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

mine rusted out, so i re-attatched it to that brcket with a simple Cshaped exhaust clamp, works great.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.