Trans

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
deturn

Post by deturn »

My transaxle sounds shot, do'es anyone know ,can I just change the trans axle, and if so, are there any other model cars that will work. I have a 83 tercel 4WD 6speed Trans.For example, would a Carolla , or models other than a Tercel work? Thank's , Deturn

Ps, what's the usual price for a used transaxle. or Rebuilt one. are they hard to find ? And who might sell a rebuild kit, and manual. Thank's
sherlock

Post by sherlock »

they are $40 at picknpull. I got a whole trans/axle for $35 last month
during their half off sale. Remember- the 83-84 have a 3.7 ratio and the
85's and up have 4.11. I don't think any other car would swap in.
deturn

Post by deturn »

Thank's Sherlock, Ill check on that.
Eatpants
Advanced Member

Post by Eatpants »

i got rebuilt ones for $140 at napa for both front (+core)

i got rippeeedddd
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Eatpants wrote: i got rebuilt ones for $140 at napa for both front (+core)

i got rippeeedddd
Actually, I don't think thats too bad. Considering how often these things seem to blow up for people. Where I live, you can't get the transaxle seperate from the transmission at the wreckers; you gotta buy the whole thing, and they charge around 4-500USD. Having a rebuilt front transaxle for only $140 plus my time is a way better option.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
deturn

Post by deturn »

Are we talking about two different thing's. I meant the front differential. Just wondering if any one has replaced one, bought one, or has rebuilt one.They come apart , the transaxle ( differential ) and transmission, just haven't ever messed with one, well yet, lol. Or if any other 4wd toyota will fit, work. I hate seeing my car on jack stands, Look's kind of pityful, Wounded, lol. Well I guess it is.But I'm going to fix her, hopefully better than before. I'm still hopeing it could be a CV joint , vibrating the clinking, clattering noise to the transaxle.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

deturn wrote: I think we're talking about two different thing's. I think my transaxle, not the halfshafts.The front part of the trans that the halfshafts go into. The front differential. Just wondering if any one has replaced one, bought one, or has rebuilt one.They come apart , the transaxle, and transmission, just haven't ever messed with one, well yet, lol. Or if any other 4wd toyota will fit, work. I hate seeing my car on jack stands, Look's kind of pityful, Wounded, lol. Well I guess it is.But I'm going to fix her, hopefully better than before. I'm still hopeing it could be a CV joint , vibrating the clinking, clattering noise to the transaxle.
Yeah, you're right. I think Eatpants was talking about the front axles. Doh! And here I was thinking I could order a rebuilt front diff for 140 from NAPA.

Anyhow, Deturn, there are a few options for you, you just have to figure out what is best. There is another thread active right now that parallels your problems. Check it out for more info: <a href='http://tercel4wd.com/invision/index.php ... f=4&t=1219' target='_blank'>http://tercel4wd.com/invision/index.php ... &t=1219</a>

In my experience, most wreckers won't sell the transaxle seperate from the transmission for the Tercel 4wd. But you may have better luck.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
deturn

Post by deturn »

Thank's GTS, but that 140 bucks for a transaxle did sound nice.I'm going to drain my trans oil tomorrow and see if there's any metal. No metal maybe CV joints, metal maybe transaxle. One's just a little more fun than the other, lol.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

You can replace the front differential without removing the transmission, that is, if your ring and pinion are still good. I had a busted diff and found the side gears (the small ones) were stripped but the ring and pinion were fine.
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

I had heard that the side gears do have a tendency to wear out.
I just replaced a half shaft from AutoZone re-man for like 70$ with 25-35 core refund, but that is not the transaxle.

Not sure i would replace one with out the other though. I would think that whatever events that took place to shred the TA gears most likely did not effect the gears down the line.

The halfshafts come out easy enough and that is the best way to tell if the gears are stripped.

Note I was told that my TA was shot and it turned out the the reman halfshafts actually were bad and not the TA.
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>