Sway bar end bushings?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Sway bar end bushings?

Post by BaileySims »

Where can I locate those? If that is the correct term for them. They go in between the sway bard and the lower control arm. Doing some suspension work today, took the sway bar off and the bushings disintegrated upon removal. I bought everything suspension wise pertaining to the front except for those darn sway bar ends. I'm going to try and piece some parts together from pep boys just to get it drive-able until I can get the correct ones. Thanks.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Sway bar end bushings?

Post by xirdneh »

Butler 1-800-921-2851 or 1-888-890-6942
or
http://www.conicelliautoplex.com/service/partznet.htm (this is where i get them)
prices were from several years ago
# 48674-16030 ...." cushion to arm ...2 @ $10.49 = ..20.98 __(front cushion)
# 48675-16041 ...." cushion to arm ...2 @ $8.70 .= ...17.40 __(rear cushion)
# 90387-14007 __" internal collar .....2 @ $5.51 .= ...11.02 __(internal sleeve/tube)
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Thank you kind sir! A little more expensive now but you can't put a price on safety. One more thing, the collars, how the hell do I get them off? They look like one piece now. I'm assuming they have never been changed before. The continuous metal on metal bumping after all these years made it looks like its all one piece now.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i have chiseled the remains of the collars off, and used an angle grinder. once you start using those techniques, you'll find the remains of the collars will finally separate and flake off from the sway bar.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Awesome, thank you. Everything seems 90% better with the car now, even though I don't have the proper sway bar bushings in yet. After a while of not having them changed out the lower control arm developed a small notch where the sway bar sits. Still makes a small noise, so I'm sure I need another one. Are those still avaliable as remans or anything somewhere? I'm sure there's one here at the local wrecking yard, but I am unsure of the condition. I'll have to check that soon.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

if you still have an occasional clunk on the front passenger side, reach down through the engine bay and grab the inner tie rod, just outside of where it exits the steering rack housing. try to move it up and down, forward and backward, etc. there is an internal bushing on the passenger end of the rack housing and i have found it worn out on every tercel i've owned. i believe it has been responsible for some passenger side clunks that i was never able to get rid of. jimcrazy might have replaced one in his car but i'm not sure. anyway, they seem like a common cause of hard-to-diagnose clunking to me so take a look at that, just in case that's part of your problem.
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

I replaced that steering bush on my Tercel a few months ago and the clunk disappeared. It was very hard getting the bush out. In the end I had to take the whole rack out (manual steering), but it was worth it.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member

Post by BaileySims »

Bummer. I hope that isn't it, even if it isn't, I still need to do my inner and outer tie rods. Should I just go about replacing that bushing anyway? After reading what jony said, I'm kinda scared. Haha.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

@ BaileySims:
This may be of a bit of help (note that Jonymoto is in Oz): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10991&p=81450
I thought there was a thread on the procedure for replacing the bushings, but apparently my memory (and the Search feature) were incorrect.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Jonymoto
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983, DLX 4wd wagon with 4.1 manual gearbox, tow bar). Manual steering. 313,000 kms. Tercel 4WD SR5, 1987, 500,000kms. Other car - 2003 Rav4, AWD, 2l manual, Peugeot 407 Diesel (93,000 miles) in Ireland for use when on holiday there.

Post by Jonymoto »

BaileySims - I was able to buy the bushing from Toyota here. The bush is pressed fit, so I had to use a slide hammer with internal claw attachments to get it out. You can get to it internally by moving the rack towards the driver's side once you remove the passenger side inner tie rod.
I too did the inner & outer tie rods even though I didn't think they needed to be done.
I wouldn't be scared. The scariest part was the shock of having to pay $90 (Aussie) for such a simple bush. I was tempted to make one out of brass with the correct internal and external dimensions, but the original bush consists of two metal rings with a ring of rubber encased in between. This is to ensure proper alignment of the rack.
It was easier to remove and replace the inner tie rods with the rack out of the car. If you take the whole rack out, make sure that the distances between both outer ends of the inner tie rods and the rack housing are equal before you connect the steering joint to the rack. That way the wheels will turn equal amount left and right and the outer tie rods will also be equal on both sides when you get the wheel alignment done. Also make sure that your steering wheel is straight before you connect the steering joint to the rack. In my car, that wasn't very critical because I'm able to remove the steering wheel and refit it in the straight position afterwards (our steering wheel here is different to yours). I had to do this even after the wheels were aligned anyway.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson - The Dalai Lama
Mogordo
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 Wagon

Post by Mogordo »

Hi, Just reading through looking for ideas for what is going on with my recently acquired Tercel and wanted to ask dlb or anyone else who knows: Does the attempting to move the tie-rod to check for the worn bushing in the steering rack have to be done when there isn't weight on the wheels? Or is it accurate with the car on the wheels? Mine seems secure up and down anyway with wheels on the ground so I wanted to see if I could consider that probably not one of the issues.
One who walks in shoes always clean likely walks nowhere at all.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Hi, generally speaking it has been my experience that there must be zero weight on any bushing, joint, etc in order to accurately assess it for play but I think the internal steering rack bushing you're asking about is an exception to that rule since there is minimal weight being exerted on it at any given time.
Mogordo
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 Wagon

Post by Mogordo »

All right, Thanks. It's probably fine then but maybe I'll check again in case I wasn't pulling hard enough.
One who walks in shoes always clean likely walks nowhere at all.