Eureka I think I finally figured it .....

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Eureka I think I finally figured it .....

Post by gnarnold »

:idea: :idea: :idea: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It dawned upon me like fire must have dawn upon early man.
After miles and miles of vacuum tubing.
After countless quarter turns on the idle screw then more on the other than back to the idle screw. It was when I was on my 10th run in the tattered and torn ,greasy and taped Haynes manual .sitting there at my storage unit where my beloved chariot has been throwing a tantrum for 3 days (furthering the discontent for me and my tercy) why in the hell won't this car maintain a even idle ? then I thought ,I'll just take out the dizzy and start over with the timing procedure. (By the way do not ever use two part epoxy to secure a pulley
When low and behold the dizzy itself was cracked in half .phones dying to be continued. ......
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Re: Eureka I think I finally figured it .....

Post by gnarnold »

I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Image[/url]
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

That's an interesting failure. I had just done a cylinder head swap on one of my Tercels when I was merrily driving down a backroad late at night after the operation and all of a sudden the engine died and wouldn't restart. I decided to check for spark and sure enough there was none. I had the car towed back and I pulled the distributor in the morning and the shaft were the gear goes on broke and thus why the engine had no spark. Easy fix once I figured it out and swapped a spare distributor I left with the car (I was 400+ miles away from home).
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

wonder how that happened. perhaps someone lifted the engine using the distributor as a handle. or perhaps this engine came out of a wrecked car and no one noticed the broken disturber. can not think how normal use would cause a break like that. or perhaps someone was using the distributor to lever off of to get something else free (like removing the transmission to change the clutch).

there must have been some kind of abuse.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

I agree .after I put new one from.previous engine in.it still would not start .had a hunch it was the coil .and switched it out and all good
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

Hahaha, oh man. Yeah, that'll do it.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Yeah now I'm having timing issues i m confused when it comes to the ignition part
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Timing issue resolved ! driving with plugged dizzy vacuum lines and disconnected choke runs great at 900 rpm via stock tach in instrument panel .
Shang ri La???

No.

Well like a little brat starving for attention she had to sacrifice something ,. And she put forth her only begotten starter.not even two months old .chews em up and spits them out .she is alive and she is pissed ..........at me for some reason .I only spend countless hours and all my spare cash in hopes of no problems no manic episodes no raging fits of powerlessness followed by half hearted attempts of reconciliation. She is a bitch and she knows it.she takes pride in the fact. I'm starting to think a seperaton is the best thing .before some one gets hurt.