Very diffcult to start in freezing weather

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Very diffcult to start in freezing weather

Post by Petros »

My daily driver recently developed a very annoying problem, it is very difficult to start when below freezing. It has never acted this way before.

about a month ago I noticed it was more difficult to start from cold in damp weather, with a lot of sputtering. I replace the spark plug wires and distributor cap and the problem cleared up, started almost immediately, even when stone cold.

But now when it is really cold it has to be cranked and cranked, with no signs of spark at all, until eventually I get a sputter, than a few more sputters, and than a very slow to spin up start. once running, it appears to act normal. After it is warm there is no indications of any problems at all, no flat spots, runs strong and smooth.

Even when coasting down our long hill in the morning, usually the fast spinning allows it to start almost instantly, but not now. It has to be spun up for a long time, sometimes I even come to a rest at the bottom of the hill and have to use the starter to get it running. No vacuum leaks, and choke appears to be operating normally.

I am going to try a few things, like use some starter fluid in the intake. that would indicated if it is weak spark or poor fuel delivery.

Any other suggestions on what to check?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Very diffcult to start in freezing weather

Post by irowiki »

My 81 did that when the choke did not work properly, but that carb was screwed up and a replacement carb fixed it.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dhally
My tercel:: 1987 Wagon 4wd

Post by dhally »

I read of problem similar to this on a motorcycle forum... It turned out the ignition coil was bad. Thermal expansion and contraction due to temperature caused the erratic behavior.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

my bet is on not enough fuel. you've probably changed the fuel filter recently though, otherwise i'd suggest that.

when the engine is stone cold, check the carb fuel level before you start it. if the level is good, then hold the choke open while you look down the barrel and open the throttle by hand a few times to confirm it's squirting as it should.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

I'm with dlb on lack of fuel what happens If you intentionally try to flood while starting? (Pump the pedal repetitively)
One of my old t4's took a lot of pumping when cold to get it to fire up in the morning.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

I'm with dhally- coil problem. Had the same problem years ago with my DD- didn't want to start in the wet after sitting for 10-12 hours. Swapped out the distributor with a used one- problem solved. Then just for the heck of it, I put a near-new coil I had laying around in the original dizzy and re-installed it. Been fine for years now.

Good Luck.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Another couple of data points: temp was about 34 deg F this morning and it started right up. when it would crank a lot without starting it was about 30 deg. Also, from a stone cold freezing morning, I sprayed starter fluid down the air intake (the flex duct on the end of the air filter assembly intake), and it did not seem to help, though it did start eventually, it was not the instant start I usually expect with ether down the intake.

So I am also thinking coil, or something in the distributor (ignitor, even capacitor). Next step might be to pull a spark plug wire next time it is below freezing and stick on a spark plug to see how well it sparks, and give it a crank.

will also check the float level while I am at it. I also thought of the fuel filter, but usually that will cause stuttering and cut out at high speed/high engine demand (fuel starvation) and rarely affect start up unless fully plugged.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Post by 4doorVIP »

hey Petros I'm in the same boat with my 81 tercel.
My car did have a low float level, but correcting this did not help cold starts in this weather.
One thing I find odd since my 81 has a block heater; if plugged in overnight, it will start up easily when being used..
The car was running 10w30, so changed it out to 5w30, but alas no help starting.

Keep us posted when you find out what it is! :)
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I have an '81 as well. Does yours still have the original points type distributor? It's a 6-volt system instead of the electronic distributor's 12v. I wonder if the spark isn't strong enough in cold weather if the gaps are slightly too large.